PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves

ocean diver
02-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Has anybody had any luck with growing Mangroves, please tell me the secert.

Thanks

Mark

RCFA
02-13-2009, 04:48 AM
I have had one for about 3 years now and I'm not too sure if there is a secret. Keep it well supported while it is growing prop roots(suspended in styrofoam or in the sand). Deep sand/mud substrate. Daily misting of the leaves or wiping them seems to help, and lots of light. I have read that Iron supplements can help and also keeping Mg levels normal is beneficial.

tang daddy
02-13-2009, 05:59 AM
The secret as I learned from GSP is to first add them to a container with half saltwater half fresh and slowly acclmate it to full salt water..... for lighting use a spiral clip on light or leave it by a window sill. My first bunch died when I tried to put it in my sump floating with stryofoam I guess it didn't like the mh. I have kept the other ones alive for a year now and so far all 3 I started with is doing well. Although I have to admit it's not on my system but growing in a square glass bowl from ikea with tank water and crushed coral... you know kinda like people have bamboo in containers only I have mangroves :razz:

freddy
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Just wondering where you bought your mangroves?

Pescador
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I bought 2 Little Fishies red mangroves from J&L a few years back. They were already saltwater acclimated and are still going strong in a mud sump.
But I have a feeling something might have changed with import laws.
Anyway here's a link to a PDF by Julian Sprung on Mangroves (http://www.twolittlefishies.com/images/mangrove_manual.pdf).

RCFA
02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
They should only be acclimated in brackish water if they were started in brackish water. If the propagules were started in regular saltwater, they should be fine to go directly into your setup. I actually brought back some propagules from a vacation in cuba. Completly above the board and through customs. I declared everything and I had no problem. There were hundreds washed up on the beach a they started to grow like crazy when I got them home.

High tide
02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I have had a mangrove growing in one of my sumps now for over 6 years. It was easy to grow but I think the key to success is slow acclimation to bright light. I have grown mine under 2 40w fluorescents and it has done fine(obviously slower growth than halide). Also, getting the roots into a substrate and not disturbing, at least, until new growth is observed. I have also seen better success with unsprouted pods versus ones with leaves already. I believe the sprouted ones are more sensitive to light shock. Keeping the top of the pod dry in the beginning seems to be valuable as well, I had one that was getting moist all the time in the beginning...it rotted and died. Hope this helps a little.

couchrugby2
08-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some mangrove plants from in Calgary please.