PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Clam

truperc
02-12-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a Crocea clam that was attached to a rock. Something in the tank knocked over the rock and it ripped the foot right out of the clam as it tumbled to the bottom of the tank. Is it dead, or is there any chance of recovery? Thanks for your help

tang daddy
02-13-2009, 12:00 AM
clams will sometimes let go and lose their foot. Mine has done when I placed the rock vertical it let go and fell all the way down.... I picked it up and placed it on another rock which it fell off after 2 weeks because of too much flow from my tunze. I put it on yet another rock and it's loving it now!

christyf5
02-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Likely it was just the byssal thread that holds it to the rock. Clams can survive without it, or they'll make more. Keep an eye on it and careful where you put them so stuff doesn't fall on them :biggrin:

fkshiu
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
If it was only the threads then the biggest danger would be from bristle worms and other scavengers attacking the clam from underneath as they detect the damaged tissue. Keep it in the rockwork so nothing can get underneath of it and keep a close eye on it. Alternatively, you can create a shield for it by pressing the bottom of the clam into some still soft aquarium epoxy and then putting the clam on top when it hardens. The perfect mould you create help prevent the baddies from getting underneath.

If, however, the entire byssal gland has been yanked out (you'd know it if you saw it), then the clam is probably toast.

Tom R
02-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I like to let my clams attach themselves to an old oyster shell. It allows you to move the clam from time to time. It may have helped when it got knocked over as the weight of the rock likely helped in the separation of the clam from the rock.

Tom R

truperc
02-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks everyone, The byssal gland was tore out. So I am afraid it is toast. It is still opening but I know they sometimes do that even when they are doomed. Guess I will wait and see.

christyf5
02-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Mine has dropped considerable amounts of byssal threads etc, they're not even attached, just sitting on the glass but every once in awhile I see a chunk floating around the tank so not necessarily a goner.