PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove the black trim and brace on a standered 90g?

Tarolisol
02-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Just wondering is I can take of the black trim and cross brace on a standered 90 and still have it be safe. This is for FW if it makes a difference.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Not unless you replace it with something else. You could add a glass cross brace or eurobrace the tank.

Delphinus
02-12-2009, 12:10 AM
If it were me I'd put in a glass centre brace to replace the plastic one. The 65g I have for FW had that done, but the glass was siliconed to the black trim and not the tank itself. It has subsequently, of course, let go. The front and back glass now bow out a good 3/8". It's been like that 6 months, I keep meaning to drain the tank and fix it but ... well, it hasn't happened yet. So the fact that it's gone this long, does that mean it will last forever, or does it mean it will fail tomorrow? I have no idea. But if 36" can bow out 3/8" then surely 48" will bow out more. So I think I'd re-brace it if it were me.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-12-2009, 12:16 AM
You can also leave the black trim but cut the center brace out. Leave about an inch on each side and then replace the brace with a clear acrylic one. Just drill holes in the acrylic brace and use nylon bolts to attach it where the old one was (to the inch or so piece you left).

Does that make sense?

That is if the reason you want to remove it is that it blocks light.

The previous owner of my current tank removed the trim and I have never felt too good about it. My tank is only 19" tall though and 3/8" glass. I added a few cross braces and it doesn't bow at all. Still makes me nervous...although I am not sure why :D

Tarolisol
02-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Well it looks like ill get a cross brace before I remove it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Well it looks like ill get a cross brace before I remove it.

Are you doing this with a full tank?

Tarolisol
02-12-2009, 01:09 AM
I just dont like the look of the black trim id rather have rimless so I may end up with euro bracing i guess.