PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Madreefer
02-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Can someone please identify this purple polyp looking thing on the right.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/100_1289.jpg
It has spread all over my rocks in the last 5 months. It has not overtook any of my corals yet and my monticap has actually grown over it. Just would like to know if it is good or bad.

christyf5
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey I have that too. I kinda like it which that means that it will die out and be gone within about 6 months for me :razz:

I think its a form of clove polyp or something. It does well in nutrient rich areas and areas of low light. I lost a colony that was shading it out a few months ago and its slowly deteriorating.

mark
02-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Clove polyps (Clavularia spp.).

I've got some purple I put in the tank on purpose but thinking probably not the greatest idea. They don't seem aggressive as GSP (which I definitely should have passed on) but will spread all over as you found.

Madreefer
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Christy and Mark. This stuff seems to grow where there is bright light. I do like the look of it as well. As long as it does'nt start taking over any of my corals. I moved a candy cane coral on to it a few days ago and the coral killed the polyps so they can't be all that bad I hope.

Rbacchiega
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
it's easy enough to trim if you need to...