PDA

View Full Version : How to remove xenia?

Son Of Skyline
03-22-2002, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know how to completely remove the pulsing xenia from my tank? I don't really want any of it anymore and it's growing and spreading like crazy! Thanks...

One_Divided
03-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Low alk, low temp for a couple days.. lol.. Would be pretty damn hard to kill without taking almsot everything else out..

pocilipora
03-22-2002, 01:29 AM
Try to chop out as much as you can. Then take some of your tank water(depending on size of tank), boil this water, and use a turkey baster to cook them off. Dont use so much water as to raise tank temperature. Do small patches of xenia untill its gone. May take a few treatments.

Son Of Skyline
03-22-2002, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the info. So I guess in other words it's like aiptasia except you actually BUY it :mad:

Delphinus
03-22-2002, 01:19 PM
I find that you can remove xenia of a rock using a hemostat (looks like a pair of blunt scissors but you can clamp them), grab the stalk right at the base, and pull. Should come cleanly off the rock. You should be able to find a stainless-steel (or better yet, plastic) hemostat for less than $10 at any home medical supply centre or even perhaps a garden-variety pharmacy.

If they grow onto glass or equipment, I just use a razor blade to scrape the xenia off, that works pretty cleanly too (just doesn't work so hot on textured surfaces such as rock, hence the hemostat).

As far as getting rid of it all ... you'll just have to be persistent, I guess. I pretty much let the stuff grow, I only get rid of the stuff that causes problems (growing onto other corals, plugging up my spray bar, or stuff like that). It does definitely require a good management scheme... but not much doesn't in this hobby... :rolleyes:

Son Of Skyline
03-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Is xenia all that bad if it touches other corals? Specifically my acropora? If it's pretty much ok to touch other corals then I won't worry too much about getting it ALL out. I'm just worries about my sps. Thanks again.

stephane
03-22-2002, 08:54 PM
they are very easy to to get off the rock
dont try to kill them like aiptasia you will probably ending get nasty stuff in your tank

just get your nail under where it attach and it will come off the rock realy easy you realy dont need to chop it. he will come in one piece

it work whith mine so it probably work whith yours. maybe you better keep some because they are a realy good way of export nutriment they suck all kind of bad stuff just like calurpa and are just beautiful IMO

my just to cent

reefburnaby
03-23-2002, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I would peel it off the rocks one by one. Any left over bits...I would take a xacto knife and scratch it off. You can make some money off of this stuff.

I wouldn't kill them since it releases toxins in to the tank. These toxins can kill specific species of coral fairly quickly. A couple of members on this board have experienced this problem.

- Victor.

pocilipora
03-23-2002, 04:19 AM
Yes it will bother other corals if it touches them. Not sting them just earatate them.

Delphinus
03-23-2002, 04:22 AM
I don't think it's a problem so much from the point of view that the other coral is getting stung per se, but I've found what can happen is that a xenia can smother a neighbouring coral by growing over it.