PDA

View Full Version : Max sum size for 72 gal Bow Front ????

beendaredondat
02-10-2009, 07:42 PM
My skimmer just died, and it's replacement requires a different sump set up than the one I have now. I want to go with a single Aquarium for my sump so now I'm looking for the largest one that I can fit thru the doors while still clearing the back brace of my stand. (cutting the end out, or removing the center brace is not an option). I made a carboard mock-up of a 20 gal (12w x 16H x 24L), and I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't look like it will clear the back brace as your angling it in. Having my existing sump (two tall rubbermaids joined by a pipe) in the way has made it impossible to tell for sure. I've been trying to find one set up empty in a fish store, but so far no luck. I've even tried contacting All-Glass but no luck so far. Does anyone know of someone out there running a 72 Bow Front with an Aquarium sump in their stand ?????. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Three weeks with no skimmer now.

MikeP
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Carmen from here on Canreef has a 72g bow with a sump. Send her a PM and I'm sure she wouldn't mind sending you some pics.

HTH

PS welcome to Canreef :)

Carmen
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mike!
Yes I have a 72 G bowfront with custom sump in my stand. I purchased the entire system used from a fellow canreefer and am quite happy with it. The sump is the equivalent of approx 25G and I can get the dimensions if you'd like. However.... it will not solve your dilemma. My stand had to have the center wood brace removed to install the sump. Previous owner did not have any probs and neither have I! There is some "side extensions along the back that takes some of the weight too. Not sure if it helps at all.
Here's some pics. Sorry I don't have any pics of the backside but it looks much the same just not bowed:wink:
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/ClairesFirstHaircutSept08New72Gallo.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/ClairesFirstHaircutSept08New72Ga-2.jpg

beendaredondat
02-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks Carmen, so that's what my stand looks like with a real sump in it !, very nice. Your set up just may have given me an idea on how I can build myself a two piece unit out of plexi, that I will join together once under my tank. Back to the drawing board I go !

vessey
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I used a 15 gal (12x24x12H), it is the largest one I could get to fit.

beendaredondat
02-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the input Vessey I was afraid that's about as big as I could go, so I have now decided to build my own in the stand to get the extra size I'll need. This should be interesting .............