PDA

View Full Version : How much Live Rock/Base Rock

Albertan22
02-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Hi all,

So I'm finally going to bite the bullet and go buy my tank this week :mrgreen: I'll be picking up a 120 g tank and building my own stand. It'll likely still be a few months before I can get water in it as I don't quite have enough cash to buy live rock just yet. Which brings me to the topic of this thread, I was initially planning on going all in and using all live rock to set this tank up. But given the times I've been wondering if it's worth saving a few bucks and using some base rock.

I was wondering how many people use base rock and what ratio of base rock to live rock did you use? Or should I just wait a couple more months to save up for the live rock?

e46er
02-10-2009, 03:09 AM
looks on craigslist for LR its WAY WAY cheeper than the store i bought 100-125 lbs of rock off a guy who took down his tank it was sitting in water for a month or so not sure it was FULL of life but it had some coraline algae on it and it was only a $100 bux.. lots of people sell LR for 2-4 dollars a pound.

Trigger Man
02-10-2009, 03:57 AM
looks on craigslist for LR its WAY WAY cheeper than the store i bought 100-125 lbs of rock off a guy who took down his tank it was sitting in water for a month or so not sure it was FULL of life but it had some coraline algae on it and it was only a $100 bux.. lots of people sell LR for 2-4 dollars a pound.

great call, in my 125ish gallon I now have 185 pounds of premium life rock and and greatful that I went that way, as I have moved the rock work around a lot over the years, and since it was all the good stuff I was able to move all the rock wherever I wanted without worrying about where the base rock would go.