PDA

View Full Version : questions on chaeto and RODI

e46er
02-10-2009, 12:51 AM
i got an rodi unit about a month ago and i use big rubbermaid containers for storing rodi water and another one for mixing
question #1 it seems when i turn the unit off and the stick my hand in water to put powerhead in i get shocked its a good shock obviosuly its static shock any ideas as to why the bucket shocks me before i drag it across carpet or anything............ the hose does touch the metal door on the furnace room but there is no wires touching the door for stray voltage...........

question 2 a member recently gave me a good chunk of chaeto algae it has some brown spots in it...........here are some pics
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z76/E46Maniac/IMG_2485.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z76/E46Maniac/IMG_2483.jpg
is this normal or what is the brown..

question 3 i can see little things moving around on the chaeto are these pods??

Tangman
02-10-2009, 01:48 AM
1-Is the powerhead plugged in when you get shocked ? other wise if there is no stray voltage from some where , then I can't see any static voltage from the RO unit unless it is fed from a pump.
2-The red /brown color in the chaeto, does it wash out ? If so it could be red slime / cyanobacteria
3-Probably , but can't say without seeing

e46er
02-10-2009, 02:38 AM
no its before i plug in the powerhead and its not fed from a pump just out of the main line coming into the house never tried to wash it out

mark
02-10-2009, 02:42 AM
no sure about the shock but for the Chaeto, just tear off the brown and throw out.

High tide
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
It's a bit hard to tell from those photos, but it looks like red turf algae. I would throw all of it out. The last thing you want is that stuff taking a hold in your tank. "When in doubt, toss it out"!
I don't get the shock thing... nothing plugged in? Is this before you add salt? Static does not make sense, plastic is a bad conductor.

BCOrchidGuy
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Dont worry about the brown stuff, just detrius and yes those are pods. As for the shock, dunno.... any other electrical sources near? Is it sitting on or near any thing metal like a heater vent etc?

Douglas

High tide
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
What do the moving things look like? Assuming things you don't know can be very disastrous in this hobby. Proceed cautiously when introducing new organisms. I am almost positive the red/brown stuff is the dreaded red turf algae, definitely not detritus, get it out!

e46er
02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
the bucket is sitting on a linoleom floor in the laundry room no salt no power heads nothing plugged in no vents just the 1/4" water hose im stumped but its shocked me on every bucket of water ive made over 3 G

Sam1969
02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
My guess is that you are getting a static shock from the furnace. The dust and dirt inside your furnace will collect and hold a static charge. Try putting somthing between the pipe that touches your furnace door. The pipe that touches the furnace door, what is it made of ? is it pex ? polyb ? cpvc ?

e46er
02-11-2009, 02:50 AM
its not the furnace door its the mechanical room door and its not the doors as when i touch them to open them to shut off the rodi unit im groundedand no shock and its the plastic tube from the rodi unit. my sparky friend is stumped as plastic doesnt conduct and RODI water doesnt conduct. its how tds meters measure more conductitivity higher tds. well we will get a meter and get to the bottom of it ill let you guys know the outcome

Tangman
02-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Not to be sassy, but this makes no sense at allMy guess is that you are getting a static shock from the furnace. The dust and dirt inside your furnace will collect and hold a static charge. Try putting somthing between the pipe that touches your furnace door. The pipe that touches the furnace door, what is it made of ? is it pex ? polyb ? cpvc ?

And ALL water, RODI or not, conducts electricity. I would guess the electricity is coming from the water source some how

e46er
02-11-2009, 03:22 AM
ok buddy talked to his dad it has to do with the ion charges and when you run the water thru a rodi it changes the charge....

mark
02-11-2009, 04:40 AM
ok buddy talked to his dad it has to do with the ion charges and when you run the water thru a rodi it changes the charge....

no shocks from my ro/di water

High tide
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Perhaps your house is not grounded properly. Maybe the ground is only bonded to your plumbing and not grounded through a ground plate/rod buried in the ground.

Tangman
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Perhaps your house is not grounded properly. Maybe the ground is only bonded to your plumbing and not grounded through a ground plate/rod buried in the ground.
Good idea , and very possibly the problem