PDA

View Full Version : New Astraea Snails Not Moving...

Key Equine
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Hello all,
I have a question about a couple of Astraea Snails I picked up the other day. They are my first snails in a new tank, along with a Nassarius snail and three hermit crabs. The other ones are all doing very well, but the two Astraea snails haven't moved since I got them two days ago. I know they are alive because they move a tiny bit in one place and I can see their foot down, but they haven't moved from where I set them down. Any ideas why this would be? I have checked the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and all are zero.
Also, I acclimated them over about 1.5 hours, bag hanging inside the tank and adding small amounts of water every ten minutes.
Thanks!

Claire

Lance
02-10-2009, 12:49 AM
I've had Astraea snails do that before. They're probably fine; just feeling a little pouty.

reef bound
02-10-2009, 03:34 AM
My first couple of astreas in my red sea max didn't do very well because my temp stayed around 81-82 degrees. I was informed they don't like it that warm, more like 78 or 79. We ended up getting a chiller and they do fine now. But that's just my experience and I'm fairly new at this.

don.ald
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
the hermits will take care of the slow guys.

Myka
02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Try putting them on the rocks instead of the sand, they don't like being in the sand much, and won't go there very often on their own accord.

Key Equine
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input!
The hermits I have are tiny so I don't think the snails are in danger quite yet. They are on rocks right now, but I thought maybe I would try different rocks, or maybe I should just leave them alone... Not sure.