PDA

View Full Version : Who has a grounding probe in their tank?

spanky
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Is it your sump or main tank and is it a good idea to have one?

Mrfish55
02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I have one in the sump, don't know if it makes a difference but I can say I get no tinglies when I have my hands in the tank :lol:

Snappy
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I have one in the display herbie overflow and one in my frag tank. I highly recommend it.

untamed
02-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I have one.

spanky
02-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the input , i honestly didnt even know of such a thing, i will definatly get one. I was just thinking today with all the cords running into the tank and sump there must be something a guy can do.

digital-audiophile
02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
I've one in my sump as well. I was mildly electrocuted twice before I figured it out and bought one.

Johnny Reefer
02-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Sump.

loveless
02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Where do you get said grounding probe. And also how is it used. I understand that it is used for stray voltage, but how is it applied/hooked up???

bullit67
02-10-2009, 02:10 AM
I had one in my old sump befor I got my sump room up and running I went to unplug it from the outlet and it is fused to the outlet I have too figure out why befor I get a new one

MikeP
02-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Where do you get said grounding probe. And also how is it used. I understand that it is used for stray voltage, but how is it applied/hooked up???

I'm wondering this as well. Also is a GFIC still needed if you have a grounding probe?

tgoeujon
02-10-2009, 02:16 AM
ive got one in my overflow, but i still get tinglies from time to time. might add another just cause electrocution sucks:biggrin:

mark
02-10-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm wondering this as well. Also is a GFIC still needed if you have a grounding probe?

Should have a GFI that way it trips via the ground probe rather then you providing the path.

Trigger Man
02-10-2009, 04:19 AM
I have one in my display, bought it at the local fish store.

Johnny Reefer
02-10-2009, 05:00 AM

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=mc-gp

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/1721/Rid-Volt-Grounding-Probe/

digital-audiophile
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Easy as pie to hook up. One end is just a plastic probe, like a temp probe, and then plug the other end into an electrical outlet.

lastlight
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Does it matter whether it's direct into the wall or into a controller's power bar?

Sushiman
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
ah you're not a true reef aquariust until you've been electrocuted by your own tank. :shocked!:Sigh* ah the memories.

digital-audiophile
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Does it matter whether it's direct into the wall or into a controller's power bar?

I would imagine the controller would be just fine, as long as you set that specific outllet to "always on"

Doug
02-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I always run a ground probe and GFI.

If you find my thread where the arc went from my pendant to my forehead, when I had the probe out and was fine with it in, {current leaking from a stream pump}, you will see why, plus some good posts there from electric oriented aquarists.

0sprey
02-11-2009, 06:45 AM
I use a GFI instead. Otherwise, you're running the risk of zapping your fish.

Leah
02-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I have a question, I have 2 grounding probes and when the electrician was here doing
some work, I asked him about the testing, that is mentioned in the instructions. He had
no idea what it was talking about. So they are still sitting in the closet. Iam also a bit
confused as how they could zap the fish. Do they absorb stray voltage, Iam confused.
Please explain for us dumbies.

0sprey
02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
They complete the circuit- so if there is stray voltage, it flows through your tank. You stay safe, because you can't ground the tank yourself anymore, but the current still flows through the water. It's not as dangerous to fish as it is to humans, but it causes their navigation systems to go berserk. Messes around with the sensory pits in the lateral line, if I recollect correctly.
With a GFI, on the other hand, as soon as leaking electricity is detected, it shuts down the circuit. No damage. Of course, then you have to start testing to figure out which piece of equipment is leaking... which could be a PITA. But still better than taking a risk, IMO.

hillegom
02-11-2009, 09:48 PM
So if you have a GFI, then you do not need a grounding probe?

Norstar
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
A couple of dumb questions.

1. Should you have a probe in both the sump and the aquarium?
2. Can you not make your own ground probe with a piece of insulated copper or aluminum wire?

fkshiu
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Never used one. Never needed one. If you've got "stray voltage", then fix the equipment that is causing it. Further, a GFCI will save your life, a ground probe will not.

Doug
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
As I posted, why not use both. I would never run with no GFI, but I do on occasion have something run to another plug for whatever reason. In my particular situation, no probe, arc to my forehead, probe in, no problems.

As for fixing the pump, thats all fine and dandy, once you know its screwed and leaking current.

heyfredyourhat
02-12-2009, 01:40 AM
There is a decent size thread about ground probes being very dangerous on RC.

My 2 cents...I have one in my sump, i have a gfi as well. The other nite hands were in the tank and i got a good jolt and then gfi tripped. It was my light, and about a year ago i was shocked by the same light and didnt have a gfi installed. Talk about being electrocuted!! Especially when one arm is all the way to the bottom of a 24" tank!!!

Not sure what the ground probe does, or if its worthwhile, but i know i love my gfi now!!

Canadian
02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
The general consensus is that if you run a ground probe you MUST also run a GFCI otherwise you are actually putting yourself at GREATER risk by having a ground probe without a GFCI because nothing will trip to shut down the offending electrical component should it actually be leaking current (to you for example).

Also, the fish don't get zapped. They aren't grounded. The idea that stray current somehow causes HLLE has generally been dismissed as nonsense over the last few years.

Do a search on RC - this has been debated ad nauseum and when people who actually know what they are talking about (I'm certainly not one of them) get involved in the conversation the take home message becomes the same - if you run a grounding probe you must also run a GFCI for your safety.

digital-audiophile
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
That is an intersting point that the fish are not grounded. I never thought about that, I always assumed that if I saw fish floating belly up I would know not to stick my hands in.

I really need to get a GFCI. I need to find someone in Calgary that can do it for me.

Canadian
02-12-2009, 05:07 PM
To be fair, I don't know how realistic an inference it is to suggest that because the fish isn't grounded that it wouldn't some how be effected by stray voltage. I've seen it suggested that because the fish aren't grounded they aren't at much risk, but when I think about it intuitively I would assume that if I cut the cables on one of my powerheads and stuck the wires in the tank next to a fish it would presumably show some kind of distress (but as I mentioned above I'm not really qualified to comment on electricity because I'm completely ignorant about its effects beyond what we use therapeutically in physiotherapy).

That is an intersting point that the fish are not grounded. I never thought about that, I always assumed that if I saw fish floating belly up I would know not to stick my hands in.

I really need to get a GFCI. I need to find someone in Calgary that can do it for me.

Leah
02-12-2009, 05:26 PM

They, are not that hard to install my dad installed all mine, four of them
just make sure you have turned off the power to it first. Was the first thing
I ever did when I switched to salt. I even have one on my daughter's fresh.
But when I was a kid growing up my dad had 30 freshwater tanks running in
our basement and I don't even thought about it. You will have to turn everthing off that may suck.

karazy
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
you can buy a GFCI outlet like the one in the link below at places like home depot so you dont have to completely change your outlet.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~miscellaneous_tower_shoc k_buster_gfci_adapter_cord_set_inline.html

digital-audiophile
02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
you can buy a GFCI outlet like the one in the link below at places like home depot so you dont have to completely change your outlet.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~miscellaneous_tower_shoc k_buster_gfci_adapter_cord_set_inline.html

I've looked for those at both home deopt and rona and the staff in the electrical dept. look at me like I have two heads and show me the ones I need to wire in.

I'm sure I can install the GFCI, it's not that hards, its just I am afraid of electricity. I electrocuted myself really bad as a teenager on an exposed wall socket and have been leary around wires and electricity ever since.

xiaan
02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I've looked for those at both home deopt and rona and the staff in the electrical dept. look at me like I have two heads and show me the ones I need to wire in.

Same thing happened to me at HD but I found one at Princess Auto. They are generally in the Tools section (I also saw a 4 port model at Canadian Tire).

digital-audiophile
02-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Same thing happened to me at HD but I found one at Princess Auto. They are generally in the Tools section (I also saw a 4 port model at Canadian Tire).

Sweet! I have a PA just minutes away from my house. Ill check them out for sure!

karazy
02-13-2009, 03:23 AM
ive seen them at the home depot right by Elite aquatics.
they were close to the lighting section

mike31154
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
A couple of dumb questions.

1. Should you have a probe in both the sump and the aquarium?
2. Can you not make your own ground probe with a piece of insulated copper or aluminum wire?

1. Depends on your set up. Technically the water flows continuously between the sump and display, so only one should be required if you decide to install one at all. Once water stops flowing, you've opened the 'circuit' so to speak. But that usually happens during a power outage or when you turn off the return pump so no electricity is present.

2. You can make your own, but insulating it with plastic will defeat the purpose. You'll need to get hold of a non corroding metal such as stainless steel or better yet titanium.

mike31154
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I always run a ground probe and GFI.

If you find my thread where the arc went from my pendant to my forehead, when I had the probe out and was fine with it in, {current leaking from a stream pump}, you will see why, plus some good posts there from electric oriented aquarists.

Curious. Is/are your pendants grounded? I've measured close to 200 volts from my clip-on (ergo isolated) T5 reflectors to the water. Used to get tingles when touching both the reflector and the water. Attached a wire from each reflector to ground and the large induced voltage is no longer present. Although it is a high measured voltage, the current capability is obviously not that much or I would feel more than a tiny tingle. Could be that the arc to your forehead was also caused by a large static charge, walking across carpet in a dry room, then touching a metal object. Voltage needs to equalize, so big snap but generally not that harmful.

digital-audiophile
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/8068/infinite/www.canadiantire.ca/media/images/products/images/HouseHome/Electrical/PowerBars/0527268_450_CC_v1_m56577569830874243.jpg

I found the GFCI at Cdn tire. It was $26. Much easier for a guy like me to hook up than rewiring an outlet :p

mike31154
02-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I have one of these. Great product, only beef is the spring loaded outlet covers make it tricky to plug in timers etc.

RnR
02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Before u buy one buy a voltage stick put just the tip in your water or on the glass even and see if it lights up if it does you need one if it dosent you dont have a ground problem

hillegom
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I have one of these. Great product, only beef is the spring loaded outlet covers make it tricky to plug in timers etc.

Mike, just plug a power bar into the GCFI and put your timers on that.

fkshiu
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Mike, just plug a power bar into the GCFI and put your timers on that.

Be careful about stringing powerbars together. Jamming all your equipment onto a single GFCI is asking for it. Better to distribute the equipment amongst several GFCIs so if one goes, your whole system doesn't. I keep the absolute essential equipment - the pumps/powerheads - on their very own GFCI circuit through a CanTire UPS.

hillegom
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I see I wrote "timers" I meant just the one Mike could not plug into the can tire GCFI