PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Submersible Pump Options

Werbo
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Due to space restrictions I cannot add an external pump such as a Dart or AmpMaster.

What options are there out there for high flow submersible pumps that would compare to a the external Sequence Dart? Looking for something that is 2000-4000 gph to hook up to 2 sea swirls.

Please post your opinions, past experiences and pros & cons related to products.

Thanks, Tyler

Aquattro
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Tyler, you'll probably need MAG pumps, like a 24. Although these do drop off quickly and add heat to the sump. Or maybe you need a 3ft sump instead :)

Aquattro
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Or, if you mounted the external pump to the wall, that might give you room the required plumbing...

Werbo
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks Brad.
What about the higher flow Quiet One pumps?
Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks.

Rbacchiega
02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I've used everything from a quiet one 4000HH (high head) up to the 6000. Good pumps, and if your using them in a cabinet setup the noise isn't too bad. I power down my return pump when I'm feeding either the fish or corals and it starts back up with no problem

Delphinus
02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Think they are supposed to be OK, but I haven't used one myself. Other options that come to mind are Ocean Runner pumps, and the Rio Hyperflow line (I run a 32HF on my sump and it must be something like 1500gph at 6' head, at 0' it's actually 2000gph).

Werbo
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the input. Heard that Quiet One pumps were reliable from a few people.
Anybody jumped with both feet and bought a Red Dragon II? Just how much are they Red Dragon II pumps? Thanks, Tyler

Rbacchiega
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
"I Have Crabs" has one on his new cube.

I run them outside in the big tanks.....great pumps, love them. But smaller tanks I'd rather go with a quietone for example and spend the extra coin somewhere else in the tank

Scythanith
02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I have had to replace a Quietone 5000 once after about 4 years of service. It was submersed and then my new sump called for external so I re-plumbed it and in about 4 months its housing cracked (it later fried in my salt mixing pail). Also I have burnt out 2 quietone 800's which I used for odd jobs. Motors were fried.

I think the flow and noise levels were good. I have had issue with restarts after power loss though. Maybe I have to pull it apart for a good cleaning?

MikeP
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I've had my Quietone 6000 for almost 2 years. It's been a great pump for me. It makes a bit of noise on start up but overall it's pretty quiet. Not sure how much heat it adds to the water but I've never had any heat issues so it can't be adding too much.

HTH

phreezee
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I've had my Quietone 6000 for almost 2 years. It's been a great pump for me.

Same here.

aquatechy
07-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Red Dragon pumps are great, but they cost ALOT of money. When i was buying a main pump for my tank when I was setting it up, i was choosing between red dragon and reeflo. i chose to buy a reeflo dart, because red dragon's equivalent pump is $1000, and only 3150 gph. (and just not worth it!)

My advice to you would be to try sedra pumps. My explorations in the past, as well as conversing with other hobbyists, has been that mag drive and quiet one pumps are okay, but if you want quality, go sedra. (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-sd20000/Sedra+KSP-20000+Water+pump.html) Mag drive tend to have a rattle in the sump. The flow rate may not be a Dart, but then again, you wont ever get that kind of flow without a large, external motor. In that view, the sedra does have quite a bit of kick.

plutoniumJoe
07-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I have two QuietOne 3000. One has always started every time without a problem, the other one sometimes needs to be bumped or sometimes needs to be opened up, rotated, and tried again. I have the good one on my return and the bad one on my skimmer. If I have a power failure I am pretty certain that the water will circulate.

I am building a 210G and I am debating going with the QuietOne 9000 for my return, good bang for the buck but I don't know if I want to rely on it.

aquatechy
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I have two QuietOne 3000.

I am building a 210G and I am debating going with the QuietOne 9000 for my return, good bang for the buck but I don't know if I want to rely on it.

Exactly. :smile:

In that respect, cant you plumb an external pump through a lift-suction?