PDA

View Full Version : re-stocking ideas

freddy
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a 46gallon bowfront fish recently wiped out by ich,letting tank run for 6 weeks,just looking for diffrent ideas on what types of fish for my tank,would like to base my tank around a clownfish pair but any other ideas would be appreciated,right now I have alot of softies and a squamosa clam,turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp.

Myka
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
That would be a great tank for a pair of Fairy Wrasses as your feature.

freddy
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
thks myka,I never thought of that,definitely give it some thought.

ponokareefer
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
That would be a great tank for a pair of Fairy Wrasses as your feature.

Fairy Wrasses, or flasher wrasses would both work. A royal gramma or orchid dottyback are both smaller, and add a lot of color, without being aggressive. A pair of clowns that would work good would be percula's, false percula's, orange or pink skunk's, as they are all less aggressive compared to tomatoe's and cinnamon's. Bangaii cardinals, firefish, and neon goby's are other options that are good reef fish for smaller set-ups. Do you have a cover on your set-up? If you don't, that will limit what you can put in.

karazy
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
jawfish are neat fish :)

some other kool fish would be maybe a goby and pistol shrimp pair,
cherub angels, the black occelaris clowns are kool, filament and carpenters wrasse, and ofcourse blennies of all sorts are awesome!

Nihoa
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
im a huge fan of our twinspot hogfish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ieeD-eDwM

hes super active and curious, eats like a horse without any fuss, and got along with everything in the tank (although i hear they might go after smaller shrimp or crabs like pom poms). i wouldnt say hes a centrepiece fish but defin rounds out the tank.

robzilla
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. i like triggers, they are a fish of great personalities. some are fairly reef safe. i had a picasso and now have a trigger.

Rbacchiega
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a fan of having a decent sized tank full of smaller fish (ie gobies, blennies etc) rather than having larger ones. My 90 (with the exception of the foxface and the kole tang) will be stocked with fish who's adult size is no more than 4 inches.

Snaz
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
+1 Orchid Dottyback, great fish with colour and personality.

fishoholic
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. i like triggers, they are a fish of great personalities. some are fairly reef safe. i had a picasso and now have a trigger.

A 46g is a bit small for triggers. However pygmy angels are a good choice. The flame angel and coral beauty are two of my favorites.

Whatigot
02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
If I had a 46 bowfront, I would set it up with 4 grammas and let them run it.
I have 3 in my 72 bow and I wish I had added a couple more females when the tank was new...

So fun to watch my big male tend to his little harem of 2 girls...

Whatigot
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm a fan of having a decent sized tank full of smaller fish (ie gobies, blennies etc) rather than having larger ones. My 90 (with the exception of the foxface and the kole tang) will be stocked with fish who's adult size is no more than 4 inches.

100% the best way to go IMO.
Nano fish in a huge tank looks incredible.

freddy
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I had a coral beauty it was my last fish to die,tried to save but was too late.got 5 weeks to let tank run empty too make sure the ich is gone,I think that last time i was overstocked and my tank could'nt handle the bioload,so this time I want to do it right,just want to thank everyone for the ideas,keep'em com'in.

Whatigot
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I have heard of people waiting 6 weeks and still having ich when they restocked.
Be really careful, we'd all hate to see another crash....

freddy
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
How long do you think I should wait.

Whatigot
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
As I understand it, there is no real way of knowing for sure that Ich is gone from your system.
You may very well be fine in six weeks, but to be safe, more time would offer more security.

If everyone says 6, maybe 8 weeks would do it?
maybe 7?
No way to know for sure and Better safe than sorry, but hey, 2 extra weeks can also be a long time to wait for something that may be already a non issue.

just thought I'd just mention that waiting 6 weeks is no guarantee, just an estimate.

TJSlayer
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
May want to consider buying or borrowing a uv light and run it 24/7 for a few weeks. Would help with eradicating.... a 24 watt would be plenty for a tank that size, and can be had for in the $80 dollar range.

I run one now and have had no further issues with ick...

Just a thought.
TJ

Nihoa
02-12-2009, 02:51 AM
you wait 8ish weeks with a tank that is fishless? what about if only most of your fish died and you have a couple left? can you be sure that the ick is gone if you do not see it on your remaining fish for that 8 week period? it will be scary rebuilding the tank after 8 weeks hoping you didnt miss symptoms along the way.

Whatigot
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
when I set up my 72, it was fishless for 4 months.

You rush just about anything in this hobby and it'll more than likely turn out poorly.

You wont always see ich, but if its there, it's there.
It can still be present in a fish if the fish isn't showing symptoms, and can live without a fish for up to six weeks OR MORE.

A UV light would probably offer you some security.

Nihoa
02-12-2009, 03:18 PM
You wont always see ich, but if its there, it's there.
It can still be present in a fish if the fish isn't showing symptoms, and can live without a fish for up to six weeks OR MORE.

A UV light would probably offer you some security.

can you explain how the uv light works and how you 'dose with it? frequency and duration of use.

Whatigot
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I've never used one, and to tell you the truth, I have only experienced Ich in my younger days as a freshwater junkie.
But a UV light is essentially a tube with a strong UV light in it that has water flowing through it, exposing it to the UV light which in turn kills most bacteria (like Ich).
You'd run it full time, only having to replace the bulb every so often.

Maybe someone who has direct marine experience with a uv filter can give you better advice on it though.

freddy
02-14-2009, 05:12 AM
I guess one thing about not having any fish,I have an explosion of copods in my tank they are everywhere,which is a good thing.

High tide
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
After you have run your tank fallow for a while, try Bangaii Cardinals. Try and get your hands on some captive bred specimens and breed them yourself. Bangaii's are a great choice for a tank of that size because they have a limited territory in the wild. They are also under great pressure from the hobby and will be extinct soon if we, as hobbyists, continue to buy wild caught Bangaii's. Breed Bagaii's and trade/sell them to other hobbyists on CR and at your LFS!

freddy
02-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I think that would be an interesting tank,I don't want anything to aggresive and don't want anything that will out grow my tank,I did read that their brooding habits are like chilids which I used to have years ago,definetley do some thinking and research on them.thks

High tide
02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, their breeding habits are awesome, mouthbrooders like many African cichlids! I have been interested for a while but I think I have too many tanks going right now. I would like to set up a tank for them in the future. They're beautiful and interesting, and if our hobby leads to their extinction....some rules will change and they won't be in our favor! Good luck with your quest, maybe some day we can trade brood stock!

freddy
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I think I'm going to do that,there seems to be a few types of cardinals,which one's to choose.I tell you it's hard watching my tank without any fish,4 weeks to go.I think my tank looks not bad,colti's splitting all the time,kenya tree,mushrooms,greenstar polyps,bubble coral.leathers,squamosa clam,but it just dosen't look right without anything swimming around.