PDA

View Full Version : Starting another - advice/opinions?

Alberta-newb
02-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi all, picked up another project today (thanks Kevin! :biggrin:) and like to mull over some ideas and ask for opinions on plumbing options. This tank will eventually hold a central "island" of LR. Livestock will be limited to a pair or trio of pygmy angels and a pair of mandarins only.

It's a 50 gallon cube (display area volume) and has plenty of options available as it's drilled in 8 places (highlighted in red).

http://www3.telus.net/lucas-mustangs/AQUA/50-cube-1.jpg

all holes are drilled for 1" bulkheads with the exception of one of two in the bottom of the sump which is for a 2" bulkhead. I'm thinking that this one will be used for the main drain and the other as an emergency drain to prevent overflows.

Since I hate the look of powerheads I'm thinking using the 3 holes in the display as returns for a closed loop. And at least one of the top rear holes as a loop style return around the top perimeter. Thoughts on this approach?

The sump is a 25 gal (with 15 gal capacity based on baffle height) drilled for two bulkheads.

Recommended pumps/capacity, and other things to consider? I want to keep it matinence friendly so there will be several valves and connectors for isolating pumps.

BTW: the front panel will be installed soon!:mrgreen:

saltynuts
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
that is a good tank you have their.
glad to see i comeing back to life.

saltynuts
02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
the 2 outside back holes returns from sump.
center hole closedlood return.
coast to coast overflow
2" hole for closed loop pump
1" or 3/4 hole i can,t remember was for the sump.
the other 3 holes are return holes too

Rbacchiega
02-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I thought the picture looked off...the only problem with drains being on the bottom is that, at least in my experience, get gunky fast and are more hassle than their worth. If I were you I'd set it up like Josh (JDigital) has on his tank, where the returns are on the bottom.

Looking forward to the build!

saltynuts
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
i,ll try to find pics some time this week when i am back.
i ran that tank for a year. mr alberts built it the it went to joe reefer then me.then my bro.
but is good to see it again

Alberta-newb
02-10-2009, 01:04 AM
i,ll try to find pics some time this week when i am back.
i ran that tank for a year. mr alberts built it the it went to joe reefer then me.then my bro.
but is good to see it again

Thanks Ed, indeed old tanks never die! :biggrin: Thanks for the information it makes sense now. Sounds like it had a really nice closed loop with plenty of flow..do you remember what pumps you ran?

I thought the picture looked off...the only problem with drains being on the bottom is that, at least in my experience, get gunky fast and are more hassle than their worth. If I were you I'd set it up like Josh (JDigital) has on his tank, where the returns are on the bottom.

Looking forward to the build!

Exactly!, when I saw this tank Josh's closed loop setup immediately came to mind. I'm thinking the same loc-line fittings he used will be perfect. I definitely dont want to use the bottom holes in the display as drains as I'll be running a sand bottom for the mandarins. Ed's explanation really clears up how to use the holes, I like the idea of a closed loop returning through the 3 holes on the bottom plus one (or maybe I'll use 2 over the top).

I'm really looking forward to this build too! I haven't finished tinkering with my 120 and will learn from my mistakes with it to make this one smoother. Already have started on a custom stand for it that will include a hinged canopy. Guess I'll start a build thread although I don't think I've updated my 120 thread in at least 6 months....oops:redface:

Thanks for the replies!

saltynuts
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
mag 24 for close loop.
mag 12 in sump.

Alberta-newb
02-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks! I'll check into the specs on those and decide how it will work for my intended purpose, gives me an excellent reference point.

saltynuts
08-04-2010, 02:01 AM
old post. what ever happened to this tank.