PDA

View Full Version : Coral Question

CherylMcKay
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi,
I am just looking at getting corals and I have a question about quality and recovery.

There was a coral at the LFS that I wasn't sure if it was alive or not. The stores up here don't get coral very often. I was told it was a Brain coral and that it had receeded but under the right light it would come back out.

Is this true?? If it doesn't it is a nice looking live rock (not for the cost of a live coral though) but I don't know a lot about corals yet and I don't know if this is possible or even probable.

I know I should stay away from marine life that looks unhealthy but.... we don't get many options up here, so if there is a chance of recovery I will keep it otherwise I will take it back.

Thanks

digital-audiophile
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Just in my experience I have tried to save two different brains but without much luck. If you got it for free.. or close to free sure, see what you can do. But if you paid full pop for a coral that may not last the night let alone a week I would get your money back if possible.

Do you have a picture for everyone to look at?

Trigger Man
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
can you post a pic? If I'm right if the edges have receeded a bit but has now stopped receeding and if you take care of it it should recover. I have never actually had a brain coral though, so I'll let others with more experience voice in on this.

CherylMcKay
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Here is a picture.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3854&stc=1&d=1234133241
It wasn't free but he sold it to me for $30.00 (half off)

mark
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd be hesitant in buying a coral that doesn't look good from the start.

As there's direct flights Vancouver to Whitehorse have you looked into getting livestock shipped up from places like JL, OA etc?

CherylMcKay
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I'd be hesitant in buying a coral that doesn't look good from the start.

As there's direct flights Vancouver to Whitehorse have you looked into getting livestock shipped up from places like JL, OA etc?

I know I can get coral shipped up, but it is nice to be able to look at it in real life before ordering.

I guess I will have to wait until I can get down south and then have it shipped back.

digital-audiophile
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that is just a skeleton.

Trigger Man
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that is just a skeleton.

When I saw the pic I was thinking the same thing, I think that coral is beyond saving imo.

CherylMcKay
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Yah, I thought it was too but... I guess I was hoping. I will take it back and let the guy know...

My life for a LFS with Reef knowledgeable staff.

Thanks for confirming this.