PDA

View Full Version : Putting a fish in the sump, which compartment?

Trigger Man
02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Basically here is the issue, one of my fish is breaking off pieces of my sps (the more narrow part where the sps is growing). So I am going to assume it is the niger trigger and will test this by putting it in my sump and see if the sps take no more hits. My question to everyone is in which of the 3 compartments in my sump should I put him in?
Compartment 1 is where the water comes down from the main tank, compartment 2 houses the skimmer and pump for the UV sterilizer (largest of the compartments but has the most equipment in it, and the third compartment has the return pump and one of my heaters.

Borderjumper
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
I always stick my "time outers" in the compartment that I think will be easiest to catch them ,once they learn a little humility.

chevyjaxon
02-07-2009, 11:44 PM
IMO fish in the sump is a bad idea, but if you must i would keep it in the largest compartment

fishoholic
02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I would worry about compartments with pumps/equipment that the fish could get hurt on, so I would use #1. Or better yet, you could set up a rubbermaid container with some LR a heater and an air pump in it for the fish to stay in.

MikeP
02-08-2009, 01:25 AM
i would worry about compartments with pumps/equipment that the fish could get hurt on, so i would use #1. Or better yet, you could set up a rubbermaid container with some lr a heater and an air pump in it for the fish to stay in.

+1

naesco
02-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Put it in your QT.
I would think there is a risk that any fish put in a sump would be stressed could break out with ich

fishytime
02-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Sump, QT, rubbermaid.....whats the difference? Catching and moving the fish is the stressful part to the fish. I would say compartment number 1 where there are no pumps, exact temp and water conditions as the display. But only for a short time as the space will obviously be inadequate.

Trigger Man
02-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Caught the trigger during feeding so he is now chilling in the first compartment of the sump. Normally I would have put him in my Qt but I just shut it down a month ago because it has been running empty since October.