PDA

View Full Version : Where's my Wrasse?!

Carmen
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a missing wrasse! :sad: Hasn't come out today and possibly yesterday as I don't remember seeing him last night either. He usually hid in the rocks (not sand) but is not in any hidey holes that I usually see him in. (Was perfectly healthy prior to disappearance) So...assuming he is in there dead, will I have a major nitrate spike? Don't want to dismantle the whole rockwork for a fish that may or may not be in there. It's possible it carpet surfed while the lid was off and was picked up by the dog?? Or is crispy somewhere that I can't see? So what do I do? Or do I worry about the nitrates?

Phanman
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
try looking in ur sump or filter sock if your running one.

I wouldnt worry about the nitrates too much, just throw in some carbon and you should be ok.

Frenchie
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I lost my cleaner wrasse for two days once. But he came back... I guess he just needed a vacation in the back of the tank somewhere.

He may be alvie yet :razz:

karazy
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
sometimes i won't see some of my freshwater fish for days at a time, but then they always come back happy and hungry.
just wait a lil while longer until you decide it's dead

MikeP
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Wait it out a bit longer before you get too worried. In the meantime check your overflow, my blue sided jumped into my overflow once.

Carmen
02-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I am being abit hasty. Not in the overflow, not in the sump that I can see. Tried to move around some of the sand, no sign. So if he is dead, not too worrisome re a spike?

reeferious
02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
if you have a fairly adequate cuc and a fish pass away unnoticed your cuc should be able to strip him away so that what's left shouldn't affect your water quality.

JDigital
02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I am being abit hasty. Not in the overflow, not in the sump that I can see. Tried to move around some of the sand, no sign. So if he is dead, not too worrisome re a spike?

Even if your clean up crew drops the ball on picking him/her apart.. a decent 20-25% water change should be enough to bring down any spike...

justinl
02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
check around the tank carefully. they like to flop under things. Wrasses can also go on days of hiatus under the sand. if it's alive and hiding in the sand, do NOT go poking around for it again; you can seriously injure it like that. if it's dead, your CUC should be able to deal with it. if you're paranoid, test test test.

Carmen
02-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks everyone. Did not come out for food again tonight so I am guessing he's not with us anymore. Time will tell and I will check ammonia, nitrates daily. He has jumped twice before but was found both times before it was too late. I actually have a cover and he twice jumped into the overflow through a 1"gap (he is actually quite large) then flopped around on the eggcrate cover over the overflow enough to flip himself onto the "lid" and over the edge of the tank. That some crazy acrobatics (and determination)! Perhaps this time he "escaped" and the dog got him? Will watch the sump incase he's hiding down there as well.

naesco
02-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I have a missing wrasse! :sad: Hasn't come out today and possibly yesterday as I don't remember seeing him last night either. He usually hid in the rocks (not sand) but is not in any hidey holes that I usually see him in. (Was perfectly healthy prior to disappearance) So...assuming he is in there dead, will I have a major nitrate spike? Don't want to dismantle the whole rockwork for a fish that may or may not be in there. It's possible it carpet surfed while the lid was off and was picked up by the dog?? Or is crispy somewhere that I can't see? So what do I do? Or do I worry about the nitrates?

What kind of wrasse and how long have you had him?

Carmen
02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Blue sided fairy wrasse and owned about 7 months.

naesco
02-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Blue sided fairy wrasse and owned about 7 months.

I have 7 of them. Than need to be fed three times a day and you have to watch to see that they are getting some.
Hope you find it but after a few days it looks grim. Sorry

Pan
02-07-2009, 03:32 AM
I have 7 of them. Than need to be fed three times a day and you have to watch to see that they are getting some.
Hope you find it but after a few days it looks grim. Sorry

Bah..I've had wrasses disappear for a week at a time...worry after that. Some wrasses, as brought up on RC have been known to stay hidden for longer...usually leopard wrasses. I broke my big tank down recently and forgot about my green wrasse, he stayed under the sand for 6 days...so a few days is to early to give up.

Carmen
02-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Found...:cry: and not in the tank:angel:. (Under all the powercords behind the tank.) He was bound and determined to get out! Guess I have to make the overflow top gap smaller:confused:. (Unless he jumped when the top was off.)

Pan
02-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Found...:cry: and not in the tank:angel:. (Under all the powercords behind the tank.) He was bound and determined to get out! Guess I have to make the overflow top gap smaller:confused:. (Unless he jumped when the top was off.)
Ah crap. sorry :(