PDA

View Full Version : Light hanging help

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Already posted in my build thread but I think more people will see this here...

Going to be hard to explain but looking for light hanging help.

I need to hang my two reflectors. I was thinking to build a rectangle out of aluminum to bolt them both to and then hang it. So very basic. What I am wondering about though, is how to hang the whole unit. I was hoping to hang it how pool table light racks are often hung...(heres where I can't really explain things) so that there are four cables bolted in each corner that then meet a few feet up and in the middle...make sense? So that only one cable is bolted to the ceiling.

But this seems like it would move around maybe? Will it stay steady? A heavy fixture would have an easier time staying steady but this would be so light. Am I better doing this a different way?

Or any other ideas for hanging the lights? Even thought of doing something like rods from the back of the stand that extend out over the tank and the reflectors hang off of them but I think this would be ugly.

Looking for ideas because my ceilings are 14' high and concrete. I don't really want to be drilling them too much. I also think its going to look silly having the lights hang down so far...

dkcrx
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
This is how I did mine, tried the way you are thinking of and it sucked, the power cable for the light tends to push the fixture where ever.
go with 4 point contact fixture to celing and if you get the rite mounting system it will be adjustable, very handy.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DeanShaunasreefNov2008060.jpg

brizzo
02-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Personally I think it would look awesome having stainless steel cables suspending your lights from 14' ceilings! Right now your tank kind of acts like a room divider, so why not extend that upwards if you know what I mean ?

I don't think I've ever seen a rectangular fixture suspended with only one cable. What would stop it from spinning?

Your best bet might be to visit a couple lighting stores (not big box stores), but an actual lighting store. Maybe you can even find a fixture you could retrofit as your light rack? :)

Also keep in mind where your ballasts will go, along with cabling. Also, I HIGHLY recommend using a laser-line plumb-bob for properly aligning your cables to the ceiling!

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Personally I think it would look awesome having stainless steel cables suspending your lights from 14' ceilings! Right now your tank kind of acts like a room divider, so why not extend that upwards if you know what I mean ?

I don't think I've ever seen a rectangular fixture suspended with only one cable. What would stop it from spinning?

Your best bet might be to visit a couple lighting stores (not big box stores), but an actual lighting store. Maybe you can even find a fixture you could retrofit as your light rack? :)

Also keep in mind where your ballasts will go, along with cabling. Also, I HIGHLY recommend using a laser-line plumb-bob for properly aligning your cables to the ceiling!

Well it could never spin very far because of the connection where the four cables meet but I guess it still would maybe move quite a bit.

My new tank is going against the wall but I know what you mean. Its not a room divider anymore.

The ballast is going in a shelf under the stand.

TheRealBigAL
02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
This is how I did mine, tried the way you are thinking of and it sucked, the power cable for the light tends to push the fixture where ever.
go with 4 point contact fixture to celing and if you get the rite mounting system it will be adjustable, very handy.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DeanShaunasreefNov2008060.jpg

Very nice lighting setup :exclaim:

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Any reason something like this wouldnt work:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/7_Billiard-Room_large.jpg

I would prefer all the cables go to the middle like this instead of straight up. I think four cables extending straight up from each corner of the fixture looks bad.

brizzo
02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Hmmm! I could see that being a challenge. My mind tells me that balancing the fixture (so it looks level) would be tough. Personally I like symmetry and clean lines...

Tough call! Trying it out might be the easiest way to know for sure, and working it out as you go.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Hmmm! I could see that being a challenge. My mind tells me that balancing the fixture (so it looks level) would be tough. Personally I like symmetry and clean lines...

Tough call! Trying it out might be the easiest way to know for sure, and working it out as you go.

Yeah I was kind of thinking balancing it would be easier this way instead of having four cables going to the ceiling that have to be exactly the same length and directly above each corner of the fixture.

If you saw my place, you would know I love clean lines too but I HATE cables hanging from the ceiling. The walls are concrete in my place, so I am hoping that by using aircraft cables, they almost disappear into the wall color. I just really, really don't want four cables going straight up to the ceiling.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
So what makes aquarium lighting so much different to hang from billiards table lighting? I am looking through pics on google and most of them just use two cables or are set up the same as above. Just curious why it works for them but not for aquarium lights. I don't see the difference.

dkcrx
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
All the pics you look at will be 110V wired to the box in the celing
you will need to mount your balasts above the fixture to achieve the same look or else you will have cables coming back down. That would suck.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
All the pics you look at will be 110V wired to the box in the celing
you will need to mount your balasts above the fixture to achieve the same look or else you will have cables coming back down. That would suck.

Yes I know they are hard wired but I am just looking at the way they are hung, not wired.

Well there is going to be cables down the back no matter which way I do this. There is no way around that. The ballast can't go above the fixture. Its way too big, my ceilings are concrete and 14' high.

iansfishy
02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
something like this idea? It swings either way so you dont have to move the light up or down. The poll table look is great except the balancing ( if you ever have to move the lights) If the lights never have to be moved balancing isnt a problem. With an arm like that, the height never changes, so no need to balance every time you move them. With those adjustable cable clamps though it wouldnt take more then a minute to move the whole assemmbly up and down. Maybe you could buy one of those real cheap string levels (from crappy tire) and attach it to the inside of your frame, no more backing up to see if its level!
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/ianpare/DSC036562.jpg

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-07-2009, 04:32 PM
something like this idea? It swings either way so you dont have to move the light up or down. The poll table look is great except the balancing ( if you ever have to move the lights) If the lights never have to be moved balancing isnt a problem. With an arm like that, the height never changes, so no need to balance every time you move them. With those adjustable cable clamps though it wouldnt take more then a minute to move the whole assemmbly up and down. Maybe you could buy one of those real cheap string levels (from crappy tire) and attach it to the inside of your frame, no more backing up to see if its level!
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/ianpare/DSC036562.jpg

Yeah I was thinking something kind of similar to that. But coming from the back instead of side.