PDA

View Full Version : WTB Ultra Maximus Clam

Jedi68
05-28-2003, 02:59 PM
I am hoping some one out there has a nice blue maximus clam that they want to sell. Please call me (778-773-1122) or email me. Otherwise, I have to find a way to get a couple of them up from the states.

Richard

Delphinus
05-28-2003, 03:02 PM
:question: :confused: :question: Just a question, why would you go through the trouble of importing (or smuggling) clams from the U.S. when you can order them from, say, www.jlaquatics.com, www.seacare.org, or www.saltwaterconnection.com? If they don't have any right now, they're sure to get some soon enough ... Seacare and J&L are in your city so you don't even have to MO from them. Just my $0.02 .... Hope you find what you're looking for .. good luck :biggrin: :mrgreen:

Aquattro
05-28-2003, 03:49 PM
And I don't think Seacare is ever out of clams. Tim's specialty is clams and he has some of the nicest I've seen.

Jedi68
05-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys for setting me straight :confused: and pointing me in the right direction :idea: . I guess it was a moment of insanity. I did not realize that importing clams is on the list of ("no no's) at the border :redface: .

Delphinus
05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
No worries, man... :mrgreen: Unfortunately clams are listed on CITES ("convention on international traffic in endangered species" or something like that, see www.cites.org for more info) which means you need a CITES permit to bring them over legitimately. There's actually nothing stopping a person from getting a permit, it's just that it's probably a bit much effort and money for just one thing or two.

In the end it's probably a good thing to try and protect/control the movements of endangered species, but it does make it a pain for us little guys. When I was in Detroit a few years back (a total hotbed of reefing activity, who knew????) I saw some amazing clams at www.tropicorium.com, the likes of which I have never seen since. Oranges, black maximas, turquoises .... Let me tell you it was a hard thing to pass up!! .... sigh. Oh well...