PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit-- A good experience!

iansfishy
02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
So I did a flatworm treatment yesterday and it worked awesome! I have been wanting to do it, but I have been scared because I have heard a couple of horror stories. First off I just planned to spend the day doing it and not rushing it. I didnt know the effects it would have on most of the inverts or corals, so anything that wasnt attached to live rock, was taken out. Which I think was not needed as the things in the tank didnt even close up. I spent alot of time syphoning out all the worms i could see before treating as well as using a powerhead to blow them out of all the little holes and then syphoning again. This was done with one end of the syphon hose going into a filter bag in my sump, so I had not taken any water out of the system yet. ( I wanted to "save" water, so I could syphon out the dead worms after the treatment). I had three TLF reactors ready and full of rinsed carbon so as soon as I seen the first worm die and start floating around I started running water through them. I used about 50% more of the dose then was recommended. There was a shi$ storm of flatworms as soon as I treated. I could not believe how many there was. I started syphoning them out right away and ended up taking 20 gallons out. After replacing the water with fresh water I let the carbon run for a couple more hours, then put back the livestock I had taken out. Everything was showing polyp extension and looking good within an hour of the treatment. It helps to really plan it out.

BlueAbyss
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
So what product did you use? Sounds like it worked well.

iansfishy
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
saliferts flatworm exit. OA has it in.

untamed
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you did everything right. In spite of that, my experience is that you might need to repeat it one or two more times. Don't wait too long to do so.

brutus187
02-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I've also used flatworm exit and it worked great. Only loss was the pesky flat worms :-)
I only had to do 1 treatment and they haven't come back (that was over a year ago). It might be my six line wrasse keeping their numbers down (i hear they eat them but have yet to see for myself)