PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid Stock Tanks

Buccaneer
05-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone ... I am building a " skippy filter " for my pond and need a rubbermaid stock tank ... anyone in Calgary know where to find them in town and / or the best price ? TIA

Cheers

rossb
05-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Rasta I made a 100 gallon bio filter from a metal stock tank a few years ago. I looked around and the cheapest I could find was the UFA co-op just off Macleod on about 42ndish. They had plastic ones as well.

BTW plastic venetian blinds, cut into 4" sections work awesome...and you can get them at garage sales for almost nothing..

Buccaneer
05-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info Ross ... the venetians are used for a bio filter ?

Cheers

rossb
05-28-2003, 03:45 AM
I have heaps of links on biofilters. The basic design concept is lots of suface area for bacteria to grow on. The best thing would be bio-balls. but the cost for a 100 gallon filter is expensive. The blinds work well. If you need some tips ... let me know.

I have a 2000 gallon pond with a 25 foot stream and this is my fourth year. I have tried lots of different plants and I now have a few that work. The pond is home to some kindly goldfish and a nice old turtle. I have an indoor pond for the winter and an outdoor one.

Buccaneer
05-28-2003, 07:42 AM
hehehe ... sounds awesome ... a buddy of mine gave me a trough heater and my goldfish made it through the winter outside :eek: ... they actually gained weight !

here is a link to the skippy filter I plan to build ..

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Let me know what you think of the media and if there is a good substitute

Cheers