PDA

View Full Version : Watertight Stands

PFisher
05-27-2003, 11:02 PM
I have built a stand for my tank and have made it so that it will hold around 30 g of water in case of a leak. I have not seen any stands that will hold water or read anything about others doing this. Is there some major drawback to doing this that I did not think of?

Quinn
05-27-2003, 11:15 PM
someone on reefcentral had inter-american do this with their stand. the only problem was that inter-american screwed up the measurements slightly. personally if i were rich and lived in a condo or something, i'd do it as well. however when i get rich :rolleyes: i'm going to live on an acreage just outside my choice city and my basement will contain four 4x4x2 tanks, and there will most certainly be a floor drain, dehumidifier, etc... in a perfect world. at this point in time, i've got a good shop vac, a well-orchestrated setup, and crossed fingers.

DJ88
05-27-2003, 11:24 PM
my old stand had this done. It could hold up to 35 gallons if need be.

No clue why others don't do it. Safer IMO.

PFisher
06-02-2003, 05:17 PM
It sure gives me and my wife (more importantly) a bit more confidance with putting it in the new house.

Jack
06-02-2003, 09:32 PM
How exactly are you guys doing this?

Samw
06-02-2003, 09:41 PM
I actually have a drain in my stand and the drain hooks up to a tube which connects to a 25 gallon rubbermaid container. The stand has about a 1 inch dam so that this will work for leaks. I think the tubing is 3/4" inner diameter so it can take a good water flow but not an instant failure.

Son Of Skyline
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
My stand can hold 20gal of water before it spills over the front doors. Pretty simple really, the wood is simply treated in some waterproofing laquer or something and the edges sealed with silicone.

I don't see why there would be any drawbacks.