PDA

View Full Version : Frag tank top down design help

24storm
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I am in the planning stages of makeing a frag tank. I want something that is very shallow like about 8" 10" of water. Does anyone have any ideas or sites i could look at. This will be it owns system and will not be tied into my other tank. Any insight would be great.

If anyone has a tank like this that they would like to share pictures of that would be great too.

Thanks Keith

LeeR
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
i have a 8 tall tank.. but its not a frag tank

albert_dao
02-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Tyson on this board has a really shallow frag tank. Maybe PM him?

Or you can give me a shout when you're free.

Borderjumper
02-04-2009, 04:07 AM
this one is 36x20x14 and is lit with one 250W Sfiligoi pendant. It grows lps like a hotdamn. I also have a 48x24x14 lit with a single 400W Sfiligoi pendant. That one was supposed to be a sps frag tank, but its evolved into a shallow reef.

If you were going to have MH with an 8" tall tank you would have to keep your lights pretty high.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0468.jpg
sorry the glass is dirty, I just got done playing in it. I love it.. its like a tidal pool I can play in and not get wet up to my armpits

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 04:25 AM
oh my jeezus that's gorgeous...you should send me some of those frags...specifically the acans, and I think it's a red lobo (front, about mid tank)

Borderjumper
02-04-2009, 04:56 AM
oh my jeezus that's gorgeous...you should send me some of those frags...specifically the acans, and I think it's a red lobo (front, about mid tank)

Thanks.. no lobos in the tank, just acans, micros, blastos, and a few zoas.

I have the tank plumbed to a sump that has one chamber full of live rock and another chamber full of cheato. IMO you gotta have live rock. I wouldnt even try to run that tank stocked as full as it is without a wack of liverock. I run a remora skimmer. LPS dont like their water too clean.. so it works good enough.

The fish that are in there all have their jobs. A pair of mandarines keep the pods in check.. a LM blennie to eat algae and a little yellow tang to keep the corals weeded. The tang gets sold every 4 months or so as they grow and is replaced with a little one.

24storm
02-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Do you keep anything else in there? any cuc?

Any pics of the sps frag tank?

Thanks for posting the pictures it gives me some ideas.

I am thinking about one 36" x 24"-30" x 8"-12" it will be lite by either a 250 watt halide or a 6 bulb tek unit. Haven't decide that yet.

Keith

Thanks.. no lobos in the tank, just acans, micros, blastos, and a few zoas.

I have the tank plumbed to a sump that has one chamber full of live rock and another chamber full of cheato. IMO you gotta have live rock. I wouldnt even try to run that tank stocked as full as it is without a wack of liverock. I run a remora skimmer. LPS dont like their water too clean.. so it works good enough.

The fish that are in there all have their jobs. A pair of mandarines keep the pods in check.. a LM blennie to eat algae and a little yellow tang to keep the corals weeded. The tang gets sold every 4 months or so as they grow and is replaced with a little one.

Snaz
02-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Wow. You offering any frags for sale at this time Borderjumper?

Borderjumper
02-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Do you keep anything else in there? any cuc?

Any pics of the sps frag tank?

Thanks for posting the pictures it gives me some ideas.

I am thinking about one 36" x 24"-30" x 8"-12" it will be lite by either a 250 watt halide or a 6 bulb tek unit. Haven't decide that yet.

Keith

Heres a bad pic of the sps tank..dirty glass and all. Its 4ft long x24x14 This one kinda turned into a shallow reef. I took out the sand bed awhile ago and replaced it with some flat shelf rock. BB didnt work as the frags would get blown around on the glass bottom. The sps tank has wrasses in it, so I have to keep it covered. Again it has a sump with lots of live rock ( and seahorses but thats another story) and chaeto.

CUC in both tanks are 2-3 kinds of snails.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0470.jpg