PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Kept Cuttlefish?!?!?

Dobber
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
has onyone kept cuttlefish succesfully for long periods of time?
maybe even got them breeding.

brizzo
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I believe I read somewhere along the line their life span is only in the 12 months range?? Neat creatures though

Dobber
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
yeah that's what i've been told but i want to get some breeding in a 90g so could be kind of neat you know

NAS
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey dude... Try talkin to ure boss. I hear tell that she hatched some sepia eggs. That is, if this is Tom.

bassman
02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
This might help.

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/Sepiabandensis.php

Here is another good site for info on inverts.

www.tonmo.com

I have always wanted a Flamboyant Cuttlefish, they are just amazing! Good luck, keep us posted too. I still have my old octopus tank that would make a great home. :-)

Jason McK
02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Both Chin Lee and Seahorsefinatic had cuttlefish at one time

J

Dobber
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
i have already ordered one from shar at complete i just don't know the condition of which it will be in

reeferious
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
i have one that's about 2.5 inch long, i feed this guy mostly on shorecrabs which we have an endless supply. he has managed to stake out his territory in the sump which he shares with couple mantis and a 5 inch reef lobster. i have trained him to the point where if my hand approaches water surface he would be hovering just beneath ready to snatch the crab from me, all the while flashing colours rolling across his body..

whatcaneyedo
02-04-2009, 06:58 PM
You'll probably enjoy reading this if you havent seen it already.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/index.php

BCOrchidGuy
02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Reeferious, where do you collect your crabs to feed it?? Burrard inlet is very dirty, I'd be scared of introducing chemicals/bacteria into my tank.

Douglas

reeferious
02-06-2009, 11:24 PM
you'd be surprised to know how tough those animals are within your tank. my collecting areas are not limited just to burrard inlet which has a tremendous tidal flushing action that happens twice a day. things you collected from here might not be appetizing for your consumption but i have been collecting from areas within the inlet the last 5 years and as far as i know none of my pets have suffered acute poisoning yet. anyway my collection area extends from tsawassen beach to gulf islands. lol i gather as much as i could when i could and dump them into my bathtub turned holding tank filled with local beach rocks and sands that sits underneath porch. a cheap and inexhaustible live food supply.