PDA

View Full Version : QT is set up , now what do i do .

agent77
02-03-2009, 06:54 AM
I have my 20G QT set up at 1.021 . Do I just wait now for a cycle or do I have to put something in to start it up . I just have a bare bottom with a couple power heads in it . I have a HOB filter , is there anything else I should have in there or any ideas what my next step would be . Thanks for you help .

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Tagging along on this one. I set up a 20 gal QT tank 2 weeks ago. I put in a few rocks that were in my sump and filled it with water from a water change from the 90 gal. All I have for equipment is a HOB filter and a heater. Maybe I should add a powerhead too?

10 days ago I purchased a little (very small) Pyjama Cardinal and put him in. He seems to be doing very well. No white spots or diseases showing yet. I'm very glad I did put him in QT as I had trouble getting him to eat the first week. The only thing I can get him to eat is Cyclop-eeze. He would have been lost in the 90 gal and I doubt that I would have been able to find him to try out different foods.

agent77
02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I dont know if its good to have rock in QT tank cause if you have to treat your QT tank with anything you will have die off on the rock and then that could cause a cycle and you could end up hurting your fish you put in there . (STRESS) Correct me if Im wrong , anyone please . :question:

Rbacchiega
02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
use some larger diameter PVC pipe in the tanks. That will provide the necessary hidespots.

For the HOB filter, as long as there is decent water movement through it, there shouldn't be need for a powerhead. Keep up with regular maintenance on your QT tank just as you would with your main display.

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The pieces I put in were extras I had left over. I put them in the tank just to provide a hiding space for the fish. If I had to treat the fish for anything, it would be a quick job to remove them, before starting the treatment.

agent77
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
The pieces I put in were extras I had left over. I put them in the tank just to provide a hiding space for the fish. If I had to treat the fish for anything, it would be a quick job to remove them, before starting the treatment.

true enough :biggrin:

Does anyone know if I have to cycle it before putting fish in :question:
Wont you get stale water spots if theres not enough water movement in there :question: I dont think the HOB have enough movement at all . Do I have to provide a airstone then if I remove power heads :question:

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Good questions. I would like to know the answers to these also.

agent77
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
would love to hear what people have to say cause I have read so many things about QT's that it gets confusing on whats best to do . What works and what doesn't :question: Someone please help us :n00b:s out

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Cycle the tank (at least that's what I did) Then keep it just as you would a normal tank but without all the fancy aspects of the display tank. Salinity, Temp, PH, etc. should be the same between the two tanks.

What kind of HOB filter are you using? If you're worried about it, an added powerhead would only help.

I wouldn't remove the power heads if you don't think that there is enough water movement.

Hope this helps

agent77
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
awesome , but how do you start the cycle without liverock in there ?Do I just through some frozen shrimp in there to rot and will that start the cycle . Thanks again for your help .

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
If you're going to use a HOB filter, put some live rock rubble from your display tank in the HOB filter to get it rolling. Are you going to be using live rock in the QT? Or PVC?

You can use some shrimp but will need to remove it after a couple of days.

es355lucille
02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but this all sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of this tank and setup. I am not sure what all the acronyms mean. Sorry for being a pain. Thanks

ElGuappo
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
i used LR in my QT tank theonly thing is that this rock is now a "write Off" and cannot be used in a reef. do a ghost feed to cycle the tank. (feed the nothings in your tank).

HOB = hang on back.

my 10g QT tank had a AQ 30 HOB filter and a korlia nano. and 5 lbs of rock.
the reason i used rock was obvious, but the medication i used was supposidly Reef Safe. if you are willing clean the rock (numerous religous Water changes) you can use rock for any qt tank. Aside from copper. IMO

xtreme
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I didn't cycle my QT as I have a sponge filter thats is running in my sump ready to go if I find something I want at the LFS. I use tank water as well as the sponge filter from the sump therefor there is no need for a cycle since the biological filtration is already established. The only other things in the QT are a heater, powerhead and chunk of PVC pipe for fish to hide. I found this article to be very helpful:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
good idea with the sponge in the sump Xtreme...never thought of that. Now if only I still ran a qt tank....

xtreme
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
good idea with the sponge in the sump Xtreme...never thought of that. Now if only I still ran a qt tank....

This way works well because you can keep the QT dry and store it away if you want to when it's not in use. I always make sure I have mixed saltwater on hand so if I decide to buy something unexpectedly I can use tank water for the QT and top the display back up with my mixed water. You even get a water change out of the way with this method.

agent77
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
This way works well because you can keep the QT dry and store it away if you want to when it's not in use. I always make sure I have mixed saltwater on hand so if I decide to buy something unexpectedly I can use tank water for the QT and top the display back up with my mixed water. You even get a water change out of the way with this method.

Sounds brilliant , thanks for all the help . :mrgreen:

mark
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Having run a bare QT, amazed how fast the NH3 can build. Though I still keep a sponge in the sump for a HOB filter if I decide to go that route again a lot of caution is needed. Must frequently check your NH3 levels and have lots of water made up for quick changes.

What I've used since is my LR and macro refugium. I'm able to isolate it from the display so all I've done is add a heater and skimmer. As it's already running, it's cycled and should be able to maintain a few fish without problems, plus with the LR etc, it's a less stressful environment.

If the fish has problems with something then I make the decision to setup a hospital tank (move over the skimmer and heater, add the HOB but bare with PVC fittings) or leave in the fuge. From there I then would decide how to handle the fuge before placing back on-line (chuck the LR and macro and sterilize or just run fallow for a while).

BCOrchidGuy
02-06-2009, 05:56 PM
If you make up some water before you add any fish to the QT tank you can store the water in CLEAN used milk jugs (the 4l ones). Sponge filter is awsome, to get the cycle going just use a couple gallons of water from your main system when you do a water change. Instant cycle. For QT remember to have seperate stuff for that tank, never use nets, filters, water etc from the QT tank and always feed, treat, gaze and generally admire your main tank before you do the QT tank and once QT is cared for, wash up like crazy.

QT tank should never be used for anything else once it has had any meds given, silicone can hold traces of meds and leak them back into newly made up water. Oh and one more thing, QT for fish shouldn't be used for corals, have a seperate QT for corals if you need to, and the fish QT doesn't need light, room light will be sufficient.

Douglas

agent77
02-10-2009, 01:09 AM
I didn't cycle my QT as I have a sponge filter thats is running in my sump ready to go if I find something I want at the LFS. I use tank water as well as the sponge filter from the sump therefor there is no need for a cycle since the biological filtration is already established. The only other things in the QT are a heater, powerhead and chunk of PVC pipe for fish to hide. I found this article to be very helpful:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php
okay now say your tank has ich and your wanting to set up QT can you still use your water from your DT in the QT?

loveless
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
I ran into these today either here or on RC (cannot remember) and bookmarked them, might help out in the future.

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18893-stocking-marine-fish-medicine-cabinet.html

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/19032-stress-single-marine-fish.html

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/19255-fish-quarantine-process.html

rocketlily
02-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Another question, about size. Is a 10 gal large enough for QT for a small tang or foxface for 3 weeks?