PDA

View Full Version : Knew this would happen

BC Mosaic
02-03-2009, 05:13 AM
I have a ZeoVit system/reactor in my sump. Twice a day you're supposed churn the Zeo rocks by using the top handle and pumping up and down. That's 1 1/2 litres of rock and water moving up and down and that takes effort and force.This twice daily "maintenace" has caused me some concern; I wondered if the bottom glass would crack eventually. The sump is a 33g glass tank with baffles and now it has started to leak in the area where the ZeoVit reactor sits. My sump is a typical sump - crowded. There's a bucket underneath the sump catching the drips and of course the ATO is fuctioning perfectly but with the slow drip loss of salt water and the ATO doing it's job the salinity is dropping. Tomorrow during daylight I'll have to try and blindly silicone the inside of the sump tank and hope it works. If the reef tank suffers because of the silicone (yes, I'll use aquarium friendly silicone) then I just know that I'll just chuck the whole dam hobby into the dumpster. This design is asinine. So for those of you that have this same set up, I suggest that you lift the thick rubber top off and just swirl the stupid stuff with the handle instead of trying to churn it.
Sorry for the rant, but I'm really frustrated by this hobby now and that was not the point of getting into it.

I think that maybe I'll just stick to my fly fishing instead.
Tight lines.

e46er
02-03-2009, 01:44 PM
that sucks to hear
but you can get aquarium safe silicone at rona the rona brand it says right on it aquarium safe i used it in my sump and my buddy used it in his and his 15 discus have been good for over a year and its 5 bux a tube vs 20 at the lfs

michika
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
If you put wet silicone, or silicone that has not cured for at least 24 hours in your tank, I can promise you some nasty results. I can tell you first hand that silicone that doesn't properly or fully cure kills, and quickly.

digital-audiophile
02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I've never really had a concern with pumping my reactor. I use my one hand to hold/support the reactor and then pump with the other so it does not move around much.

Have you posted this on the zeo forums to see if this has happened to anyone else? Just seems like a freak thing to me.

BC Mosaic
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I've never really had a concern with pumping my reactor. I use my one hand to hold/support the reactor and then pump with the other so it does not move around much.

Have you posted this on the zeo forums to see if this has happened to anyone else? Just seems like a freak thing to me.

Hello Greg,
I use two hands as well; couldn't do it any other way.
I started using Zeovit about 1 1/2 months ago and I guess the twice daily churning has created fatigue along the silicone somewhere. I should have listened to my inner voice. It's only logical that if pressure is exerted on glass it'll eventually give. I will not "pump" the reactor ever again but twirl/spin the rocks.

michika,
I've got no choice.

Thanks e46er

digital-audiophile
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Hmm it just seems like there might have been a pre existing flaw in the sump tank itself, I've been pumping zeo for a year and have not had any problems.

If you are looking to change reactors there is that one available that has a screw type device and you turn the handle to agitate the zeolites as opposed to pumping.

randallino
02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear about sump BC Mosaic
I've been worried about the same thing happening, or a pebble (zeolites) getting sucked into the main pump. My reactor has a crack on the top of it. I've lined the bottom of my sump with a piece of acrylic to protect it

Jason McK
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I've been using Zeo for almost 3 years now and the thought never dawned on me. Mind you I think a 90 Sump may be more forgiving.

Sorry to hear of your leak

You may want to support the glass with a sheet of foam insulation. At the same thickness as the distance between the floor and the glass

J

BC Mosaic
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys.
The sump used to be one of my FW tanks. The glass is 1/4" thick so a thicker glassed tank like a 90g (?) will have more surface area contact with the silicone. I am completely convinced that using this reactor exacerbated a problem although if left alone (no reactor pumping) it would have not materialized to become a problem. Regardless. I had a chance to vent :wink: and had my suspicion confirmed and a happening that could occur to any other glass sump with a Zeo reactor or any other pumping required reactor. Something to be aware of or else just get the "screw type" reactor.
I'll be taking the lid off my reactor permanently and just spin the handle and if really need be I'll use a plastic rod to stir it up.

michika
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
michika,
I've got no choice.

Drain your sump, or find another way. I am very serious when I tell you that wet silicone in your tank will destroy your system. I had to start over from SCRATCH, everything, rocks included.

Jason McK
02-04-2009, 01:42 AM
YA BCMosaic, You can't run your sump with wet silicone. Your tank can go a few days without the sump. I went 2 weeks once while I fixed some sump issue.

Don't take the chance

J

BC Mosaic
02-04-2009, 03:04 AM
OK. OK. OK.

I think I've got this figured out. There'll be circulation in the main tank with Tunze wave maker and Koralias.
The refugium will have a small power head to circulate the water.
The other refugium will also have a small power head.
My concern is that water trapped between the baffles has to be removed but there are so many sponges growing there. They will die and there is no real way to clean it out so when it starts up again......just as nasty.
So, trade off is I do this now and 24 hrs. later I start up again.
What's the consensus?

StirCrazy
02-04-2009, 03:17 AM
there is a marine epoxy for fixing tanks while they are full of water and won't kill your tank... give me a bit and I will try find the name of it.

can you physicaly see the crack? or is it in the silicone?

Steve

albert_dao
02-04-2009, 03:42 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1433187

Scroll down to Orca Underwater Glue.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/prolineaquatics/Aquarium%20Munster/?action=view&current=Orcasealinganaquarium.flv

StirCrazy
02-04-2009, 03:56 AM
found it.

called gold label pond and aquarium sealer.

http://www.absolute-koi.com/pdf/goldlabelinfo.pdf

Steve

BC Mosaic
02-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks guys.
That Orca stuff looks like just the ticket as well as the Gold Label Pond. So who is carrying either of these products?

albert_dao
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
JL has the Orca, I'd call them first to check stock.

BC Mosaic
02-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks, thats good to know.
Oddly enough, the leak has stopped overnight. I will still do a patch up but at least it is not as urgent or panicky.
Thanks