PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tank

PFisher
05-27-2003, 04:54 PM
This week on Thursday and Friday I am moving into a house, and one of my biggest concerns is moving the tank. I have done much reading and have formulated a plan. However, I am still a bit nervous. If anyone has tips or experiences with moving a tank that you would share, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have a DSB, but I am taking the opportunity to add a shallow sand bed, a sump and refugium.

Patrick

sumpfinfishe
05-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Patrick
Well sounds like your prepared.

I have moved my reef three times, and all those times there were different circumstances and different actions taken place.
I really plan ahead, from knowing where to seat the tank, to making spare water :exclaim: (just incase) :mrgreen: and even asking a local fish store if they can accomodate my reef :exclaim: (just incase) :mrgreen:

I have read and found out by experience that it pays to be more than ready, rather than trying to rush things.

When I move my tank I try to dedicate a full day just to move the tank, and another to move the rest of my things. This way you can concentrate on the tank entirely without too much distraction :biggrin:

I have made a few boo boo's on my reef over the years, and I know that these mistakes were usually made because I was trying to do something to fast instead of thinking things through :redface:

Also I like to have the following pieces of equipment on hand at the time of moving instead of being packed away in some unmarked box :eek: :
>salt
>siphon hose
>extra nets
>heaters
>towels
>spare pails
>powerheads
>test kits
>air pump
>any anything else you can think of

So I hope that helps, it's pretty basic information. However moving can be really stressful on everyone so just take your time and try to be patient, that way you won't make a silly mistake or forget something because your stressed or pressed for time :exclaim:

Goodluck, and Happy Moving :exclaim:
cheers, Rich

PFisher
05-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the advice and comforting words. Fortunately we do have a couple of days for the move, so I will be able to dedicate almost all of Friday to moving the tank. Hopefully it will go as well in practice as I have imagined it going.