PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on DIY Blue LED moon lights?

Piscez
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Guys, I currently have an coralife lunar series 36" light on my 33 gal which happens to have two bue LED's that I have on a timer for the moonlight effect. I'm soon going to a larger 48" T5 set up for my larger tank , but it doesn't have LED moonlights. Is it a big deal to not have any lighting at all at night?, I heard it helps to keep the fish calm and prevents fish from jumping out the tank? true? On a personal note I did like the effect the LED's gave. Have any of you made your own? I'm thinking of this doing this. If so I'd sure like to see pics! and how many LED's you recommend for a 48" tank. Approx 5,000MCD per LED (Blue). Being that it's supposed to simulate the moon effect shouldn't they all come from one point? My Coralife lunar is at both ends, thanks for any tips of advise, regards :n00b:

Here's some ideas I thought of using:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300290163257

OR:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310119563306

Tom R
02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I have added a set of these to my light bars and they give me a great look at night.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2097/Current-USA---Lunar-Light-Blue/

Tom R

Alberta-newb
02-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Although moonlights are nice I don't believe they are a must, I know a lot of people that don't have them. I put together a DIY "ghetto" set-up on my 120 (48") using 12V blue LEDs from Walmart's automotive department and an old 12V DC transformer from some long lost toy or appliance (I have a box full of these things!) I used 6 bulbs evenly spaced and pointed at different angles.

Piscez
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I have added a set of these to my light bars and they give me a great look at night.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2097/Current-USA---Lunar-Light-Blue/

Tom R

Thanks for the reply , when you say a "set" do you mean you bought the links and spaced every 2 feet or ??????

phreezee
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Blue rope lights from CanadianTire serve this purpose nicely for me :)

Tom R
02-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Yes I bought 2 and linked them together. You buy a main unit and then sub uits that you can chain one into another finally into the main. They work great. Moon lighting is a great look. I just love the colours.

Tom R

Thanks for the reply , when you say a "set" do you mean you bought the links and spaced every 2 feet or ??????

Glennrf38
02-03-2009, 03:16 AM
How long do you guys leave your moonlights on?

Tom R
02-03-2009, 03:21 AM
I have them on about 2 hours before and after MH are on and off.

Tom R

wolf_bluejay
02-03-2009, 03:44 AM
A while ago I ordered about 100 blue LED's for a few bucks, bought a few resistors, and built my own. I had a few power supplies kicking around, so I took some 3/4" PVC, cut it in half (long ways), drilled just the right sized holes for the LED's and wired it together.

Generally the effect was spectaular, and only cost my about $7 to put together. There is web site that even has a "designer" for what voltage power supply you have, what kind of LED's and will tell you how to wire it and what sized resistors you will need.

I bought a coralife blue led night light way before I built this one. I am now going to built one for my 72" tank. Done it before, and am going to do it again.
I would REALLY go with something with at a lot of LED's. the 1 and 2 LED are just not enough light. I might even have 30-50 LED left over after I'm done. It was cheaper to buy 100 than it was to buy just 25. At higher volumes you can get them for $.01-0.2 each. and a resistor is only about $.05 or so. I might just go with a 50 LED on the 72" tank. Just cause I can.

Piscez
02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Funny you should mention that, I have a bunch left over from years ago when I changed all my car interior lights to Blue LED's. As I mentioned I only had two in my coralife but I left them on all night!