PDA

View Full Version : Newb needing assistance ---> Larger Aquarium Setups

es355lucille
02-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Guys & Gals,

Can you please point me to a typical drawing (for you oil guys PFD) for a larger tank set-up. I did some searching but could not find anything. I am not familiar with a sump/fuge etc....... and would like to know the ins and outs. I do understand that you have a sump to house your protein skimmer, heater and mechanical filtering keeping your main aquarium cleaner looking. Also other biological benefits.........this also creates more volume for the system.

If no one has drawings, can you explain each process or point me towards a link to better understand all of this.

I have a small aquarium cycling at this time, but am interested in going bigger at some point in the future. The best way to do so is to totally understand all the aspects of the design.....and do it properly the first time.

Also is there something in your design that you have learned......that you should have done better?

Thanks in advance

Brad

xtreme
02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Check out Melev's site. He has lots of good info on it.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Lance
02-02-2009, 03:43 AM
The biggest thing I appreciate in my sump is that fact that it is raised up off the floor to arm pit level. Makes working on it so much nicer without all the bending. If your sump is going somewhere other than in the stand I would recommend this highly.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-02-2009, 03:49 AM
I would recommend you try to find someone in your area with the kind of set up you want to build (look though the build threads) and go check it out. Drawings are great but seeing it in person will help you so much if you haven't set up too many aquariums yet.

And everyone on here is so nice...plus they usually LOVE to show off and explain their systems to other reefers ;)

es355lucille
02-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks Xtreme I will check out the link.

Lance, Great tip. That's the practical type of advice I am looking for! I see so may pictures of sumps and they are underneath the large tank or on the floor in the next room. I was not sure if there was a siphoning issue or process issue...with placing the sump up higher. I realize some do not have the space or option and it needs to be placed under the main aquarium.

GreenSpottedPuffer, Yes I am getting to know a couple of people off this site with larger aquarium set-ups. At some point I will definately be looking at some existing setups and ideas. Thanks

Brad