PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mantis Calgary

my2rotties
02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Money isn't as much issue as a quality home that feeds live foods, and gives him at least 6" of sandbed. I like this guy a lot but need my fuge for what it's intended for. Pictures on my photobucket. He's 7" long and does not play well with others. Trade for a frag or two woud be neat, and needs a well established tank and experienced keeper.

karazy
02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
bump for an awesome mantis. ive seen him many a time while he was at the shop and he's just gorgeous.
oh, and you forgot to mention he will eat fresh clams ;)

bulletsworld
02-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Hey Diana,

I miss my peacock mantis. Your guys is pretty. I was thinking of setting up my 30 gal, although that be kinda small for this guy. Curious though... what size tank do you currently have him in? What is he currently eating? Krill? Snails? Also, does he hide a lot or is he pretty active?

Thanks a bunch.

my2rotties
02-02-2009, 07:44 AM
He likes to dig and lays around a lot. He's In a 55 g and doesn't use the space. As long as you give him a deep sandbed and rocks to tunnel under yes fine. I would love for you to take him. He's really a neat guy and deserves to be in a display instead of my fuge.

I would be most interested I helping you with any questions you may have.

my2rotties
02-02-2009, 07:51 AM
He eats damsels, squid heads and fresh clams as karazy mentioned. He does love to hunt and kill his own food. I would prefer he gets to be the predator he is meant to be though. I hate giving him live fish but he's a hunter.

my2rotties
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Bump. This is an awesome shrimp people. Great conversation piece and keeps you guessing on what he is thinking. He watches you more then you watch him. Does not hide in rocks or under things and makes the neatest sand forts and sleeps on his back and such. Free to a good home. I would feel bad taking him back to the LFS and feel he deserves a great home.

brizzo
02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I wish I lived closer!

my2rotties
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Me too its hard to find a home for such a specialized creature. My hubby needs to redo the fuge and won't put his hands in there while Grendel is in there. People run away screaming when he comes out for a swim if you get too close to his tank. I put my hand in there but watch him closely since his reach is much farther then you would think. I feel bad having him in the basement and feel he should be appreciated in a display.

I wish I lived closer!

The Codfather
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Here is a photo of my mantis, these creatures are amazing to watch If i had a bigger display i would take himhttp://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/DSC00002-1-1.jpg

my2rotties
02-03-2009, 04:14 AM
What kind of mantis is that little guy. Beautiful!!! I wish you could take Grendel too. I guess I'll be putting him in a pail while hubby works in the fuge.

Still available to the right home.

Here is a photo of my mantis, these creatures are amazing to watch If i had a bigger display i would take himhttp://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/DSC00002-1-1.jpg

The Codfather
02-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Yah, he is pretty cool, i have had him for about a year now. He still has his yellow color, i have been told this will eventually change due to the coloration around him. But so far still a bright yellow, very active but will be no bigger than about 4 inches or so. Zebras are nice too but they grow so large, you have to have a special tank just for one specimen. I hope you find someone to take him, they are very social critters, also very hungary.
Bob

my2rotties
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah I read they get quite large... Mine is not getting any bigger yet and I have had him for awhile now. If he was a smasher he would have been gone a long time ago. I feel bad for him being in the fuge away from interaction. He is very smart and great to watch. He never hides and is always studying us.

Bump for a fantastic mantis people. FREE to a excellent home.

Yah, he is pretty cool, i have had him for about a year now. He still has his yellow color, i have been told this will eventually change due to the coloration around him. But so far still a bright yellow, very active but will be no bigger than about 4 inches or so. Zebras are nice too but they grow so large, you have to have a special tank just for one specimen. I hope you find someone to take him, they are very social critters, also very hungary.
Bob