PDA

View Full Version : Tank disaster

Tigger
05-27-2003, 06:10 AM
I just went downstairs to see half my tank drained onto the floor and corals sticking in the air, half dried out. The hose from the pump came off and flooded the basement. I lost about 70 Gal of water out of 108. I quickly make 20 Gallons of water and dumped it in so that most of the corals are at least under water. I'm not sure what to do next. I am going to have to replace the carpet. I might need some help holding corals and moving the tank out of the room. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

I better get back to cleaning.
604-307-9509

psuedo
05-27-2003, 06:17 AM
hey steve, sorry to hear about that. I am off all this week to start my own business, but I can come over and help you out with tank stuff. I could babysit some of your corals, but not them all. ( don't want the warfare )
Give me a call @ (604)838-7201..........craig.....

Tigger
05-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Does anybody have well insulated cooler or an extra small empty tank (around 20 Gal) I could borrow to hold a few things?

Is it better to transfer the senstive things to other people's tanks or to set up a temp tank here using the existing water, but with no filtration or lights. Things like the blue starfish, mandrin, regal tang, anenomes, sea cucumbers, frogspawn, shrimp, urchins.....

Do you think if I put the live rock into a cooler with some water for a couple of weeks it will be ok? How should I store the live sand to best save the worms and stuff I have? Is it ok to pile the sand on top of each other in a verticle container or should I try and keep the sand to about 3-4 inches to minimize the lost of life?

I'm also going to need to find temporary homes for my freshwater fish (clownloaches, chiclids, tetras, fighting fish).

I have to move all my tanks into the garage so that they can replace the carpets. Unfortunately it is not insulated and the temperature will fluxtuate quite a bit in there. I dont' have anywhere else to put them. I'm not sure how long this will take. It migt take a week or two by the time they can put the carpet in. I also think I may need a new stand. My stand is made from particleboard and it got quite wet. .

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

canadawest
05-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey Steve,

Based on Shao's recent experiences I would say the sooner you can get your corals and livestock into host tanks, the better. A stable environment is what they need, even if it's just temporary. As much as you'd like to keep everything there, I think it's probably best for all involved if they didn't have to worry about poor or fluctuating temperatures, lighting or water flow.

I would be able to keep any livestock that would be content in either my established 12 gal nursery or 10 gal refugium. I could also host some corals in my main tank as well.

PM or email me if I can be of any help.

robbyville
05-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi Steve,

I have an empty and clean 25 gal tank here that you can borrow if you like. I live in Whistler and am moving next week so I doubt that I will be coming into Vancouver, but if you know of anyone coming out here I could send it with them.

The tank had been used as a quarantine tank for a few weeks and will eventually become a fuge, but it is large, clean, and has never had copper or any additives.

Let me know, and good luck,

Rob
604-935-8411

Tigger
05-28-2003, 06:45 AM
I have mangaed to get some of my corals into a 50 Gal tank. Thank-you to those who have helped house some of my corals. The only thing I wasn't able to find a place for about 60 lbs of rock and about half of my live sand. My rock is placed in a cooler for now with an airstone and I guess I will just have to start with fresh sand later.

Unfortunately I have to head out of town for a bit, so I hope things will be ok when I return.

Dorkel Marine 1
05-28-2003, 06:53 AM
hello Tigger. I have some room in my 27 gal tank to put some corals and any peaceful fish.

Freshwater. I could keep some of your peaceful fish in my 77 gal. just give me a call. 941-0719

George