PDA

View Full Version : how to get spray paint out of the rug.

Boomboy
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
so my wife doesnt know yet, i just found out, i spray painted the carpet. i did it last night thinking i covered everything. so maybe before i tell her, i was wondering if there was a way to get it out. any one done this before.

rocketlily
02-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe flowers might help. Give them to her before you tell her.

om6acw
02-01-2009, 06:49 PM
so my wife doesnt know yet, i just found out, i spray painted the carpet. i did it last night thinking i covered everything. so maybe before i tell her, i was wondering if there was a way to get it out. any one done this before.

what kind of paint oil, laquer etc.???

mark
02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
maybe a new couch or coffee table to hid the spot

lastlight
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
That doesn't sound fixable which stinks.

When I built my first reef tank I tipped over a can of purple pvc primer onto my newspapers. It pooled and ranoff in a few spots in the MIDDLE of our floor in a brand new house. It was lino so it literally melted those spots. I spent hours late that night shaving those spots with a razor blade to get rid of the spots. Was left with white plastic areas I then tried to touchup with pencil crayons to match the lino.

She never noticed but I told her when we moved.

"I KNEW something was odd with the floor but I never directly noticed!"

Get out the pencil crayons?

Keri
02-01-2009, 07:02 PM
That doesn't sound fixable which stinks.

When I built my first reef tank I tipped over a can of purple pvc primer onto my newspapers. It pooled and ranoff in a few spots in the MIDDLE of our floor in a brand new house. It was lino so it literally melted those spots. I spent hours late that night shaving those spots with a razor blade to get rid of the spots. Was left with white plastic areas I then tried to touchup with pencil crayons to match the lino.

She never noticed but I told her when we moved.

"I KNEW something was odd with the floor but I never directly noticed!"

Get out the pencil crayons?

Wow - that's awesome lol, you should have taken a picture!!

bullit67
02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
If you give her the flowers first make sure you are ready to duck so you dont get them up side the head

Keri
02-01-2009, 07:24 PM
If you give her the flowers first make sure you are ready to duck so you dont get them up side the head

Yeahhhh...don't give them to her in a vase!! ;)

Maybe if the spray paint is only on the very tips of the carpet you could save it off? It will still look weird but not as obvious

lastlight
02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
rug sounds different than carpet to me. Is this a moveable rug? If it is rotate until the offending spot is under something.

OR...

hatch some romantic idea for her. it needs to involve you making her something that would have required spraying paint inside the house. you'll need to actually make something but it'll soften the blow nicely. paint it outside though...no need to make more mess!

Gools
02-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Sorry I don't live closer, I'd fix that up for you. Paint can come out if taken out by someone who knows what they are doing, if it is a big deal to your wife, the best thing to do is nothing, do not try to clean it yourself, as chemicals can set, and or cause a barrier, do not even use water, let the paint dry. Call a carpet cleaner and see if they can take it out for you.

Borderjumper
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
call a carpet company. If its long pile and the spray is just on the surface they can shear the spot down a bit or if thats not possible they can cut a piece out of a closet and patch it. Depending on the pile it can be seamed in so its all but invisable.

Boomboy
02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
WOW thanks guy, its a rental place, its krylon fusion spray paint, its on the carpet i said rug in the title because it was shorter. hopefully i just hit the surface. i might have to call someone in.

Boomboy
02-02-2009, 11:09 PM
well i soaked the carpet in acetone, and most of it came up, its a rental so i didnt really want to pay 100 bucks to clean a little section, the wife doesnt even notice, i might tell her on a good day haha. so if anyone does that, just pour on the acetone. though i was using krylon fusion so that might have helped.

chwkreefer
02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I used Chem Dry with great success. I knocked over a quart of black oil based paint on light beige carpet. I thought I was hooped. We blotted up what we could and the rest was absorbed in. So we bought a spray can of Chem Dry. You spray it, agitate it on the carpet with the top of the sprayer and then blot with clean paper towels. We got the whole thing.

We were renting the place at the time so needless to say we were really anxious. But I know from experience that Chem Dry did the job for us.

Just so you know I don't work for them or anything like that. You can buy a blue spray container in stores. But we purchased a green bottle directly from the company and that was the one we used. They could be the same, but I would hunt down Chem Dry in the phone book and ask if they sell a stronger product. Explain what you are trying to do and they might be willing to offer some help and a stronger product if there is one.

Good luck,
Bill