PDA

View Full Version : Auto Topoff device

Samw
05-27-2003, 06:00 AM
I'm looking for a reliable auto-topoff system for my sumpless tank. I am considering to buy to the Tunze Osmolater.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=tz-osmolator

Has anyone used this for their tank and will it work well directly in the tank (not in the sump)? Is there a better alternative?

Doug
05-27-2003, 12:37 PM
For in tank use, you would need the Osmomat. It uses a small overflow box for the Osmolator unit. I believe it has a small powerhead in it, to recirculate water through the box.

I was going to order the unit, plus a switched socket to use a larger powerhead to drive my kalk reactor. The pump that comes with the unit is fine, if its for top-off water or the Tunze kalk dispensor.

A friend uses the Osmolator and kalk dispensor on his 120 and sump system. He swears by the unit, but the kalk dispensor has trouble keeping up and requires some assistance. It would work better in cojunction with a co2 reactor.

Samw
05-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Thanks Doug. Why is there a pump in the overflow box? There's already a pump in the reservoir to push water into the tank correct?

The Osmomat will be used for a 38 gallon tank. Should I get the calcium dispenser too or is there another dispenser that has better value for the money? I guess the dispenser is around $100.

You said that you were going to order one. Was there a reason why you hadn't yet?

Doug
05-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Hi Sam,
The box has a tiny pump that circulates the water in the overflow box only. It has something to do with providing a better level and contact with the sensor. :confused: Or something like that. :lol:

Its not the dosing pump that sits in the refill water.

The pump cannot drive any of the larger kalk reactors. Just not made for it, although it can pump up to 9 feet. Its a 12v pump, so in order to use any 120 pump the switched socket I mentioned, is needed. The 12v system is supposed to be safer.

The optical sensor, reacts to the slightest drop in water. If you removed a cupful it would pump it back. Also has a back-up mechanical float switch to shut it down if something fails, plus warning lights and alarms for high level.

They say the pump should last for a few years and is only $18 US to replace. If it pumps kalk, without the dispensor, {straight from the tub, then its life may be reduced considerably.}

The kalk dispensor @ $120 Canadian, is pretty pricy,{IMO}. But I guess its to do with the Tunze name and German tech. Its does work well and should easily keep up to a 38 gal tanks demand. Its sits in a 5g saltwater bucket thats full of refill water. You throw a couple of tablespoons of kalk in the dispensor when you fill the water bucket up. The pump pushes the water into a tube near the bottom of the dispensor. This agitates the kalk, keeping it mixed somewhat, but only clear kalk water exits the top, back top the tank. Because its small, {about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle}, compared with my 3ft by 6in. kalk reactor, it can only handle so much kalk at once, which is what limits its top end capacity.

Of course you could just use top-off water and drip kalk or whatever your using now, but I think the extra $120 for the dispensor for a tank your size, may be worth it. Depending on evaporation, this would at least give you the amount of time a 5 gal. bucket of top-off water would last.

Someone looking after your tank, just needs to throw a couple of spoons of kalk powder into the dispensor and refill the bucket with fresh water. {we use the large Instant Ocean salt buckets.}

From Rodger Vitko on the Tunze forum at RC. The overflow box is 2in. deep by 4in. long by 5in. tall. If you have plastic trim on the tank, then you require part #3000.244, which is a longer set of mounting screws and a suction cup.

Another friend order this for his,
Osmomat #5024
Kalk dispensor #5074.000
Screw/holder set #3000.244

I hope this babbling is of some use to you. :lol: Some is from my experience, most from the Tunze forum. Take it for what its worth. :biggrin:

I can tell you my friend would not trade his for nothing. As for me, well I am a confused person. :lol: If I could decide on keeping my sump or not, I could decide which unit to run. The Osmolator is not very good for in tank use, unless the water level is down several inches. My scrubber and skimmer run direct from the tank, so I keep playing with sumpless.

I currently top-off manually, which is part of the reason I cant come out for a visit. :biggrin: I do have an electronic float switch on my sump. Also when running sumpless, my scrubber pulls a gallon of water from the tank to feed the dump tray, playing havoc with any top-off. I am working on that problem. I can say for certain, I will use either an Osmolator or Osmomat , once I decide. They are that impressive.

mike miles
05-28-2003, 04:28 AM
Hi Sam

I am the person doug is talking about with the osmolator and kalk dispensor. It is the best thing I think I have bought for my tank for top off.The kalk dispensor would work very well in your tank.It is so easy to use all I have to do is fill my 5gal pail with water every 2 days and add 2 large spoon fulls of kalk.And the best thing is you do not have to worry about going away.Nobody can mess up or get confused on what to do.If you want to see pic's of it go to www.reefaquariumguide.com and look in the members tank area under reefer mike.

Mike

Samw
05-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the info Doug. I had been following the Osmolator thread on RC before I posted here so I have been able to get as much info as I possibly could. The Tunze website had not be as useful as I had hoped. I had a hard time understanding their English and I know others have as well judging from what I read. By just looking at their website, I would not have known that the Osmolator Universal model does not fit my needs and that that I need to buy the screw holder separately.

$120 seems a lot for the small Kalk dispensor. Do you think this could be a DIY for a fraction of the cost?

I think you should get the Osmomat. This way, you can use it in either the sump or in the tank and if you change your mind later, you will still be able to use your auto-topoff system (assuming the Osmomat works for both).

J&L carries the Osmolater Universal and not the Osmomat. But they said they will bring some in.

Samw
05-28-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi Mike. I'm sold. I'll be ordering the Osmomat.

That's a very nice gallery of your system on RAG. Very impressive.

The only thing I didn't see in the gallery is the Osmolator water level sensors. That might be interesting to see how the sensors are hooked up to your sump.

Hi Sam

I am the person doug is talking about with the osmolator and kalk dispensor. It is the best thing I think I have bought for my tank for top off.The kalk dispensor would work very well in your tank.It is so easy to use all I have to do is fill my 5gal pail with water every 2 days and add 2 large spoon fulls of kalk.And the best thing is you do not have to worry about going away.Nobody can mess up or get confused on what to do.If you want to see pic's of it go to www.reefaquariumguide.com and look in the members tank area under reefer mike.

Mike

Doug
05-28-2003, 01:16 PM
If Mike does not read this, I will call him tonight Sam. He can take a pic of it for you.

I dont believe the Osmomat would work in a sump. I would think the sumps water level would have to be to high, allowing no room for back-up. Not sure why I keep running the sump as my scrubber, skimmer, and co2 reactor run direct from the main tank. Also I have always kept heaters and such in the tank and not in a sump. :biggrin: Suppose its so I can combat flatworms better. :grab:

Agreed about following the Tunze website. :lol: Several have mentioned that to Rodger. I would also agree, any kalk rector would work. Just has to be small enough for the pump to drive it. I cant even drive mine with a Hagen 800 ph.

Samw
05-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi Doug.

I was wondering about the sensors because I was wondering if we could just build something to allow the sensor to mount on a tank without the 2" gap. If so, I can just get the Osmolater instead of the Osmomat.

What do you think? Could I make something that'll hold the sensor up higher in the tank?

Doug
06-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Sam,
Sorry so late. Was away yesterday. I talked with Mike and he see,s no reason why it would not work. As a matter of fact, likely what I will do also. Depends how much it sticks up and where the tank is. Mine can be ugly.

The sensor is easier to do. Its the high level float that is required to be higher. Mike figures we can make an acrylic bracket for my tank and silicone it to the side, then mount the osmolator on it. The mounting brackets would just be screwed onto the bracket without the usual mounting hardware.

StirCrazy
06-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Sam I was looking at that.. from the picture all I can realy tell is thta it is a fancy level controler that takes its supplu from a 5 gal bucket? is this right? If so for 24 bucks you can buy a float valve from J&L and 11 bucks you can buy a 5 gal water jug at save on foods. then about 10 bucks in JG fittings and you have a DIY top off system.. the float valves are reliable, I take mine out and clean it every 6 months to be safe.

I also have a auto topoff system in the closet that hooks to your RO unit.. I am thinking of using this in the new tank but I am leary about haveing my RO plumbed directly to the tank so I will have to come up with a secondary shutoff to make it more safe.

Steve

Doug
06-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Believe me, there is no comparison between any float switch system and the Tunze Osmolator.

Samw
06-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Doug, I'll go to J&L next week and see if they have an osmolater in stock so I can get a better idea of what this thing looks like then.

Steve, does your auto topoff use gravity to feed the water into the sump/tank? I can't do that easily. I need the bucket to be below the tank and a pump to push water upwards.

StirCrazy
06-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Ahhh ok that makes sence then.

Steve

Doug
06-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Would it not also be pretty hard to use a float switch system in a tank? I have an electronic one that uses fishing line and a fishing bobber in the water. Best one I ever had. :lol:

Buccaneer
06-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Would it not also be pretty hard to use a float switch system in a tank? I have an electronic one that uses fishing line and a fishing bobber in the water. Best one I ever had. :lol:

You got a pic of that puppy there Doug ? :smile:

Sounds interesting

Cheers

Doug
06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
I could take one if I had never dropped my camera on the concrete floor. :crazyeye: Dont work so good now.

Its a black box, about 4in. by 2in. and an inch thick. It just has an electrical contact in it and a plug in on the back. A mono line hangs from the switch with a large fishing bobber on the end. I have a small weight on the bobber to keep it sraight but not enough to pull it down.

It just opens and closes the contact with the rise & fall of the water. I have been using it of and on, {like my sump}, for about 5 years.

Samw
07-21-2003, 03:35 AM
Well, I'm heading out of town for a few days. I'm losing about a gallon of water a day from evaporation so I set up my new Osmolator Universal and it works GREAT! With my lights on a timer and automatic feeder filled up, I'm all set to go away.

Quinn
09-04-2003, 11:10 PM
I am currently using a toilet float valve for top-off, and I am finding it is plugged every day. Currently I am extremely poor (government shorted me on student loans and suddenly I can't even afford my books), but as soon as I am making money again I would like to get something a little more reliable. Would this osmolator device simply sit in my tank and trigger a pump that I could have downstairs or something? I'm just planning to use a 45-gallon drum for water. Sorry if this is already covered above, it's been a long day.

Samw
09-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Would this osmolator device simply sit in my tank and trigger a pump that I could have downstairs or something? I'm just planning to use a 45-gallon drum for water. Sorry if this is already covered above, it's been a long day.

Man, you are pushing the limits. :) You could get the more powerful and expensive pump that could push up to 6.2 meters. That might be able to do what you want (ie. Pump water up to the next floor.)

http://www.tunze.com/usa/en-gb/dept_129.html

See Osmolator Kit 66, Turb. el.

Quinn
09-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Couldn't I just hook it up to a Mag9.5 or something?

Samw
09-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Couldn't I just hook it up to a Mag9.5 or something?

You'd have to ask Tunze I think. They have a sponsor's forum on RC. My pump's power comes directly from the Ozmolator unit which has the powercord. So your answer will probably be dependent on whether you could hook your pump up to the optional 3150_110 switched socket outlet.

Doug
09-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Sam is correct. You can purchase the optional switched socket, which allows running a normal 120v pump, instead of the 12v.

Thats what is needed to use the Osmolator to feed a normal size kalk reactor. I would believe its not good for a dosing pump or something though, because of the timed out limit, which protects the pump.

Doug
09-05-2003, 09:26 PM
:biggrin: