PDA

View Full Version : identification help!

Koresample
01-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I purchased what i thought was a Curley Que anemone, but after looking it up on the web, what i have doesnt look like one. Can anyone identify it? It is about 7" in diameter when it is open. Will i have concerns when putting other corals in my tank with this? I know i should have done more research now before i bought it. I also have something growing out of my live rock (also pictured below). The picture isnt all that clear, but at first i thought it was algae and when i went to pluck it out, it pulled itself back into the crack in the rock. it seems to be reddy brown in color, and the arms of it are about a quarter inch and growing.

Powertec
01-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks like your nem is Lta...and i believe they have been called curly q's...depends on who you ask.
It will be fine in your tank as long as it stays happy.Don't place corals near it so it can touch them as it will sting them. They don't move around as much as a bta. They like the sand bed and good lights.You can feed it meaty chunks of scallops,shrimp etc once a week or so and that will also keep him healthy. Just don't feed him more than about a piece the size of a pencil eraser as it will make him grow awfully darn fast.

As for whats in your rock i cant see it in the pic but it sounds like a a sea star. I have tonnes of them living in my rocks. They eat all the nasty stuff.
Good clean up crew member.:)

Keri
01-31-2009, 01:10 AM
+1 on the LTA

as for the reddishbrown creature I can't see from your pic, but does it have fingers or strands that come out of the rock? Try googling "aiptasia" to see if maybe that's what you've got.

Koresample
01-31-2009, 02:47 AM
thanks, the stuff in the rock does look like the 'fingers' of aiptasia, but the bigger part may be in the rock. It looks like a real nuisance, any good ways to get rid of them?

Marlin65
01-31-2009, 04:12 AM
I kill anything I don't want with a syringe with calcium hydroxide takes care of everything. :wink:Just be careful you don't OD on your CA.
Some use Joe Juice.