PDA

View Full Version : Redox???

24storm
01-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have any information on Redox.
I have a Profilux with a Redox probe and i am having a hard time finding information on the readings. What should your Redox reading be? I have found some sites that state it will be 450 and yet others say that if it gets to 450 your in trouble.

If you have a Redox reader what is yours currently at. Mine when i left this morning was at 268 but i did a water change on Wednesday so that is why it is so low. Before the water change it was hovering around 400.

I do not quite understand Redox so if anyone can give me some insight i would appreciate it.

Thanks Keith

fencer
01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
325-380 mV but I would like in the higher end of the range

When my lights are off the redox levels are higher but this is related to temp drop when the lights are off. When you change your water the redox levels are low anyway. Also the drop in redox is related to where you have the probe located and it does take a while for the redox probe to re equlibrate after a water change( a couple of hours.

don.ald
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Does anyone have any information on Redox.
I have a Profilux with a Redox probe and i am having a hard time finding information on the readings. What should your Redox reading be? I have found some sites that state it will be 450 and yet others say that if it gets to 450 your in trouble.

If you have a Redox reader what is yours currently at. Mine when i left this morning was at 268 but i did a water change on Wednesday so that is why it is so low. Before the water change it was hovering around 400.

I do not quite understand Redox so if anyone can give me some insight i would appreciate it.

Thanks Keith

good guestions! why dont you give it to these guys
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41648

24storm
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
good guestions! why dont you give it to these guys
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41648

I posted it over there as well now.

Thanks

24storm
01-31-2009, 01:48 AM
Anyone else have one? There is only 2 of us out there with these things?:lol: Come on people i am trying to understand this.:question: So if i know what other people are getting for a reading i might understand things better.

Thanks Keith

untamed
01-31-2009, 02:12 AM
325-380 mV but I would like in the higher end of the range

When my lights are off the redox levels are higher but this is related to temp drop when the lights are off. When you change your water the redox levels are low anyway. Also the drop in redox is related to where you have the probe located and it does take a while for the redox probe to re equlibrate after a water change( a couple of hours.

I have one in my tank also. My experience is EXACTLY the same as fencer, above. I've tried aerating my water change SW...no matter what, that new SW causes a temporary reduction in measured ORP.

my2rotties
01-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Well mine read from 220-280 before it met its untimely demise. I know you know this but figured I should reply so there is reference to this for others.

untamed
01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Well mine read from 220-280 before it met its untimely demise. I know you know this but figured I should reply so there is reference to this for others.

So you had higher REDOX readings for some time...then a shift down to 220-280...then...demise?

The lower/change in REDOX was an indication that something was wrong?

24storm
01-31-2009, 06:07 AM
So you had higher REDOX readings for some time...then a shift down to 220-280...then...demise?

The lower/change in REDOX was an indication that something was wrong?

No her Profilux met its demise. She had a flood and lost the profilux.

The way i understand it the lower the number the cleaner the water what i am trying to find out is what is the highest reading you can sustain before something bad happens.

I have found sites that say 350 is bad and others that say 450 is good so i am lost.

That's why i would like to know what others have for readings mine used to hang around 350 360 and now seams to climb to 390 400.

So anyone who has one readings would be appreciated.

Keith

untamed
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM
I think you have that backwards..I think the higher the number, the generally "cleaner" the water. You can use REDOX to control ozone. When the REDOX goes down, you add ozone.

Tangman
01-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I think you have that backwards..I think the higher the number, the generally "cleaner" the water. You can use REDOX to control ozone. When the REDOX goes down, you add ozone.
+1:lol:

fencer
01-31-2009, 03:59 PM
1. Clean your probe
2. Any higher than 400 is too much...esp if you are dosing with ozone
3. I have a lot of sps growing in the 320 - 350 range

24storm
01-31-2009, 04:47 PM
1. Clean your probe
2. Any higher than 400 is too much...esp if you are dosing with ozone
3. I have a lot of sps growing in the 320 - 350 range

So if you do have readings higher then 400 and not dosing ozone how do you bring the level down? Water changes? What is the cause of the level going higher then 400?

Keith

fencer
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
You can't bring them down safely. Your tank will decide where it wants to sit. It takes time. Redox levels don't swing that much from 250 - 400. Mine swings 40 points. In fact a 10% water change does not affect the ORP that quick. Water changes are good if you don't run ozone. Fauna Marin asked me to do 10% changes a week...at first I was reluctant...but the benefits from it are showing. Your water should be RO/DI not the bottled stuff....Do your readings fluctuate over a 24 hr period? When you clean your probe the reading should be low but they eventually rise? Does your redox reading change if you go from high flow too a low flow area(sump)? If no to those questions then your probe is screwed. I would take your probe and plug it in into another tank to see if it make a difference. Find a tank with good SPS growth.

24storm
01-31-2009, 06:00 PM
My tank has tons of sps in it. I do believe my probe is working correctly i am trying to understand the readings and what they mean is all. My DT is 240 gallons and my sump is another 200 when i do a water change i change 60 gallons. I will try cleaning the probe really good and wait a couple of weeks and see what i get for readings. They say to recalibrate the probe once a month but that it take two weeks to get a actual reading so the probe is only giving you a good reading for two weeks. I just want to understand it all.

Keith

my2rotties
01-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Geez I wish I had my Profilux now, it will be 8 weeks before I get the new parts for it. I had it working for five days and after correct calibration it was reading 207 for redox. This was after a water change, prior to the water change it was about 268. I was testing my water params and they were zero for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. When I first calibrated it, it showed 85 and then slowly went up to 207 then to 224. The I had a flood and my Profilux was toast.:neutral:

The fellow I bought it from said the redox meant how much oxygen was in the water... I didn't know what he meant. I thought I would set up and ask questions about it later...

I did not know if the numbers should be lower or higher but the cleaner my water was, the lower the readings.