PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactors?

oilers1
03-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Can I have the pro's and con's and if they are necesary and worth the dollar amount? thanks

DJ88
03-19-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro's,

Never dose addatives again.
Awesome growth on hard corals.

Con's

May drop the tank pH slightly.

A great investment. I use one on my 33 and get awesome growth on all my hard corals. All I ever do to my tank is a water change every sunday, feed the tank with DT's and refill my auto top off. Oh and sit and enjoy.

If you can get one. Do it. Even better make one yourself. If you have access to the equipment they aren't hard to make.

I am sure others will add more.. can't think right now.. lol

Silverfish
03-20-2002, 01:41 AM
I have to agree with everything that Darren said. Best part (besides awesome sps growth) is no more dosing of buffers and calcium additives. I was doing that every day before, now I just refill my top-off a couple times a week, plus regular maintenance. Oh ya, and feed the fishies.

I made my reactor myself and it seems to be doing a great job of maintaining my alk and calcium levels. PH does not fluctuate much for me either, 8.1 in the morning, 8.3 in the afternoon.

All in all they are a great investment if you plan to keep sps or clams or both.

Jack
03-20-2002, 06:19 AM
Hey guys, how much dose a DIY reactor setup cost? Are they only useful on sps tanks?

Seaquest
03-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi

They should realy call them buffer machines, they keep your pH stable. tongue.gif

DJ88
03-20-2002, 11:24 AM
Jack,

The expensive part of a DIY reactor is the gauge and valve set as well the CO2 bottle. if you can cut the acrylic you can mke a reactor. There are lots of guys here who can give you loads of tips and assistance.

Bfeit
03-20-2002, 11:36 PM
http://www.precisionmarine.com/index.html
180 reef i have the cr422 work great. :D :D :D

MitchM
03-21-2002, 12:06 AM
Simple operation, almost maintenance free when used with a PH controller... almost fool proof.... except when I get bored and start tinkering :D .

The cons are the initial expense.
Worth it in the long run, IMO.

Mitch

reefburnaby
03-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Hi,

Con :

Well, you have a big CO2 tank in your house. It will be fine as long as you make certain provisions/precautions. For example, never tip a CO2 tank on it's side when in use.

Cost. $300 DIY...maybe 50% to 500% more for comercial stuff.

Pro:

No more dosing : no more buffers, calcium, trace elements.

- Victor.