PDA

View Full Version : hook RO/DI to the sump

wisesam
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi,
I am looking to add RO/DI filter and an auto top-off.
I kinda want to hook up the RO/DI directly to the sump with a float valve.
So when water drops, the float valve opens to allow filtered water into the sump.
But I have read some people advise against doing so because it may cause disaster if failed.
Has anyone done such similar setup?
Any advise is appreciated.

mark
01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm doing direct using a humidifier float valve from HD and been trouble free for coming up 3 years. Yes, there's a risk but I balance against all the people that have had their basements flooded because their furnace humidifier failed, (personally I never have). Never cleaned the valve either as figure it's always being flushed by ro/di water.

Will also hear of TDS creep but can't say I've noticed solely due to my setup. My TDS will eventually rise after 6 months or more but figure just time to change the DI anyways.

The only negative I have is the line from my ro/di Tees to the sump and also to a storage container. When filling up my container for making water, get a slight drop in the sump due evap (since the ATO is effectivly bypassed). Might drop a gallon in my 75g sump.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/float.jpg

Captainhemo
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
You can also put a 2nd float above the 1st and have it as a backup/failsafe so should your 1st float stick or fails in some manner, your water will still shut down.

wisesam
01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Cool, I feel more assuring now.
The double float valve is a good idea.
Has anyone had any bad experience on direct hook up from RO/DI to sump?

mark
01-29-2009, 11:50 PM
You can also put a 2nd float above the 1st and have it as a backup/failsafe so should your 1st float stick or fails in some manner, your water will still shut down.

Would need something different than a humidifier float valve as no way to connect something to the output.

If wanted something with more redundancy, could easily wire, in series, a whole bunch of float switches tied to solenoid valve.

Captainhemo
01-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Someone posted this awhile back, lots of good stuff
http://autotopoff.com/

new but handy
01-31-2009, 03:11 AM
hey I use a humidifier float valve with no problems

Mrfish55
01-31-2009, 03:46 AM
On my top off reservoir I use an electrical float switch to controll a sprinkler controll valve to keep my top off container full, it works off 12 volt and the best part is it needs power to open so if it fails it fails in the closed position so it will not flood.

wisesam
01-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Cool guys.
Thanks for all the great ideas. I just ordered my RO/DI unit. I'll start looking for the parts.