PDA

View Full Version : Ebay 250W MH's with Actinics & LED's anyone tried this?

Piscez
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys, Pardon my newbness but has anyone tried this? Or opinions? I'm aware of the usual ebay issues, but this sounds okay and reading feedback from the people who bought them from this seller all seem to be happy with their purchase, I'm just wondering if any lighting experts see any issues? Thanks and hello!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130284075759

Brief bio, currently have a 33gal SW but already looking to upgrade to a 72-90Gal with sump, regards

First post

saltynuts
01-29-2009, 05:24 PM
some stuff you can get good deals on.
but watch shipping some guys charge $104.00 for shipping.
i have got pumps and bulbs off e-bay all was good for me.
JUST WATCH SHIPPING COST.
look at some of the other lights on ebay now some have good shipping cost
others, like i said $104.00 for shipping!

Whatigot
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/for/1012183345.html

Just saw this on craigslist and thought of you.
Nice tank, good price.

Read up on some of those ebay fixtures, there have been reports of some of them catching fire...

I was going to order off of ebay, but decided to stick with the tried tested and true after doing some research

xtreme
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
some stuff you can get good deals on.
but watch shipping some guys charge $104.00 for shipping.
i have got pumps and bulbs off e-bay all was good for me.
JUST WATCH SHIPPING COST.
look at some of the other lights on ebay now some have good shipping cost
others, like i said $104.00 for shipping!

If you order from the states and can get them to ship USPS it will save you a ton in brokerage fees that UPS and FedEx will charge. For the light you will probably have to go with UPS though, so expect a brokerage charge when it gets to your door. Also if you have a lot of spare time on your hands there is a ridiculously large thread on RC about these lights. Search Odyssea there to find the thread. I have the 6' version and thought it was a great deal when I first got it but that was before I had seen any other MH to compare it to. I have since replaced all 3 ballasts and lamps and it is now a good light. Only thing left to upgrade is reflectors. Depending on the types of corals you want to keep it may be enough for you but I would say it is closer to the brightness of a 150w than the stated 250w. For softies and LPS it will do the job but if you plan on keeping SPS they will do much better under a brighter light. For the amount of money I have put into the light I almost could have bought something of better quality from the start. Overall though it is a decent looking fixture, and not that bad for the price. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

mseepman
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, this is an Odyssea fixture. As Xtreme said, there is a HUGE thread on RC about this fixture. Overall people are quite happy. At the price you see listed there, you really are getting a good deal. People on RC who dealt with that Ebay vendor were quite happy with the service if something went wrong. It will work fine in the beginning but like all of us Reefers, we like to move up in the world. When that happens, be prepared to spend $280 on a new Galaxy Dual ballast from J&L which will significantly boost the light from these MH fixtures. If you watch on here I'm sure you will find a good deal on a used ballast before then.

Make sure you get details on the shipping though.

fencer
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
The ebay seller is good. I have a 24' model and woirks fine. Looks like he has changesd his price a bit and switched to USPS as a delivery agent. I don't like the bulbs he ships with the light though...kinda yellow.

Ron99
01-29-2009, 06:41 PM
You might also check out fishneedit.com. I picked up the 2 foot 4 bulb T5 fixture and I think it is pretty good for the money. It's certainly more than enough light for my 10 gallon nano reef. I think people are generally happy with the fishneedit lights.

Piscez
01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys for all the great info. I do have a lead on a 6x T5 HO set up locally but thought the Ebay one would work better having the MH's. I'm not concerned about shipping as I use a shipping office in Point Roberts so I could take advantage of the free shipping and bring it over the boarder myself, I've bought tons of things this way including tires, wheels etc. I was more concerned over the quality of product. Does anyone have a link to the thread on RC ( I'm guessing it stands Reef Central) I'm not a member of that so I'll search the manual way :cry:

Whatigot thanks for the link, I saw it this morning actually as I've been keeping a close eye out. I'm not so keen on the wood look. I may have a tentative deal on a 72 bow that is already drilled with sump but needs a light so that's why I'm looking into this now. Being such a newb I'm not even sure what corals I'd like to grow at this stage as I haven't really become familiar with the LPS & SPS thing, my 33 is just a fowlr at present but when I find a larger 72-90gal I'd like to add a bit of colour with corals.

Whatigot
01-29-2009, 06:49 PM
watch some of those drilled 72s, hey can lose a lot of real estate to the overflow.
I made the decision to go undrilled on mine, just to give me more room inside the tank.

I have never had a flood due to my overflow, though you have to me sure the flow rate of your return and the overflow in question are a match, too slow and you'll get bubbles building up and that could be wet...

Just something to consider as long as you haven't bought yet.

xtreme
01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
This should get you to the start of the thread. Like I said, its huge and there is a ton of info there on them.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Piscez
01-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks whatigot, actually the one I'm looking at doesn't give up much on real estate at all.

This should get you to the start of the thread. Like I said, its huge and there is a ton of info there on them.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Thanks! :mrgreen:

dsaundry
01-30-2009, 12:32 AM
I got mine from same guy..works great

Rbacchiega
01-30-2009, 05:25 AM
I have this unit over one of my 90 gallon tanks. the only complaint I have so far are the PCs....not as blue as I'd like...I want bluer! So I'll more than likely be replacing those. other than that, I've had no problems so far.

arnald
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
i had mine only for like a month or so but the fixure is great, but the mh look a little yellow. I think the bulbs are not all that great, but good for the price and if your really not happy with it then just replace the bulbs, their pretty cheap.