PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question!

DJ_drew
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
so im relatively new at reefing but ive done alot of research and ive mastered the first few months of keeping a tank

i have no corals, i have about 100 lbs of LR and the water is absolutely perfect.
am:0
nit:0
nitrate:0
PH:8.2

im just wondering, everytime i go into the LFS on their display tanks they have things that grow on the back of the tank and the returns... i believe they might be called pods?
lol
they look like barnacles
lol
anyways im just wondering why there arent any in my tank yet or if they will ever grow?

thanks guys and girls!
Drew

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Your tank looks like it is going well, now remember if you are going to be putting corals in there you will have to atleast test for Calcium (around 400 or so tends to be a good amount, with many including myself having ours above 430) as well as KH (7-10 dkh is the average). With tank age and as you introduce more things to your tank you will get many different hitchhikers (some good some bad) and you tank will continue to form. I say just continue on the course you have begun and the tank will do it's thing.
On a second not I am pretty sure it is not pods growing on the back of the tanks and I would be more inclined to say some sort of algae or maybe a LPS (possibly a Xiena).

DJ_drew
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
if you look at this pic on the return or input pump there is things growing on it
im just wondering if thats normal?

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/may06/pan096.jpg

xtreme
01-28-2009, 09:59 PM
If you are referring to the purple spots on the wavebox and glass that is coraline algae. This is a sign of a healthy tank. The reason you may not have any yet is because of your Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium levels may be low.

Trigger Man
Oh that, that is coralline algae, and with time your tank will also get it. To get it started you need to have a bit already in your tank or get a small piece of rock from the lfs or a friend that has some (the coraline algae will show u in many different colors).
To get the algae growing you will need to check you calcium and alk levels and make sure the calcuim is over 400 and alk (dkh) at 8-10 worked well for me. After that the coralline should just start growing.

DJ_drew
how would i go about raising them naturally?

untamed
I think the stuff you are looking at is coraline algae. It is usually purple in colour. Like coral, it will use the Ca and Alk in your tank as it grows. Keeping it healthy will require you to monitor your Ca/Alk levels as mentioned.

Usually, you don't need to introduce this stuff...I'm sure it is there already, unless your LR was REALLY, REALLY dead.

Good water conditions, Ca/Alk control and lighting and you'll have lots of this stuff.

christyf5
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
After awhile there will be stuff growing everywhere. Coralline algae is mostly what is growing on the overflow in that photo as well as a darker colored algae. To encourage the growth of coralline algae, keep your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels in check. Calcium should be about 350-400ppm, alk 7.4-9dkH and magnesium 1200-1350.

Other things you may find in your overflow or sump may include, sponges, copepods, pineapple spongesand feather dusters (probably the barnacles you were talking about). If you google search these you can find photos for each :biggrin:

Be patient, they will come :wink:

DJ_drew
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
ok well i just put new LR in the tank
the rock i had in there was growing coraline
but i had to deal with cyano so ive had the lights off for about 4 days now to control it

christyf5
01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Just give it some time, likely you will see some copepods in a couple of weeks. Try looking at your tank at night, lights off, using a flashlight. You'll find there is a lot more life in your tank at night than during the day. Coralline algae will take a bit longer, probably 6-8 weeks or so. The rest will come over time.

hillegom
01-29-2009, 12:43 AM
If looking at your tank at night with a flashlight, put red cellophane over the lens. Night time critters will not be as skittish with red light.