PDA

View Full Version : tank temperature

Quinn
05-26-2003, 01:05 AM
my tank has been hanging around 82.5 degrees since yesterday (when it really started to get warm outside around here). i've checked some old threads and no one here seems to have a tank that gets that warm. i'm worried that once my halides are on, my temperature will be even higher. and what happens when it's another four or so degrees outside? would you folks be worried? where are your tanks at right now?

psuedo
05-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Turn your heaters off during the day, and maybe decrease the length of time the halides are on for. The only thing you would really have to worry about is the fact that everything is more susceptible ( spelling error ) to disease when the temp. is a little higher than normal. My tank fluctuates 3 degrees from night to day time, the highest being 81.6.
I haven't had much problems with my tank, although everybodies experiences are different. It is much like my dad told me, "opinions are like *******s, and everybody has got one."

StirCrazy
05-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Mine swingd up to 87 degrees in the summer.. no ill effect from it last summer but I am going to try to keep it under 85 this summer.

Steve

Quinn
05-26-2003, 01:46 AM
heaters shouldn't be on, as they're set to 25 and 26 degrees. i was wondering if one was broken, but if stirs tank is hitting 85, then i'm not too worried. personally if i were a fish i'd like to be in nice warm water all day :razz:

Son Of Skyline
05-26-2003, 02:25 AM
My tank swings between 83-85f daily. My tank goes up to 86f on warm days but nothing in my tank seems to mind.

Aquattro
05-26-2003, 02:54 AM
Mine goes from 82 to 86 daily...no problems. I will be looking for a chiller later this summer though, just to lessen that spread.

sumpfinfishe
05-26-2003, 02:56 AM
I just encountered a serious heat problem over the last month-due to a very dirty skimmer pump over heating, which a simple cleaning solved.

In the summer months I run my reef without a heater, that way when the temperature hits 82-83 in the reef on a hot day it has a chance to cool back down to 77 over night. This allows for some more fluctuation during a really hot summer day. I do this every year and it has never showed any ill effects on the fish or corals :mrgreen:

cheers, sumpfinfishe
thanks again Brad :wink:

Quinn
05-26-2003, 02:57 AM
well i'd make the joke that i've been hot all my life (just need a tan) but some people might get weirded out :lol: yeah will have two fans in the canopy for sure, also one in the stand for the sump. hoping to get the canopy done this week, by the way. not really wanting to have 70 lbs of new live rock and no light to look at it by.

edit - why is this post showing before jon and rasta's. maybe my browser is acting up.

Buccaneer
05-26-2003, 02:59 AM
Here is an article on reef temps that is a interesting read ...

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

Cheers

Canadian Man
05-26-2003, 03:02 AM
Hey Quinn,
My tank is usually 79 and with the warmer weather it is up to 80.
Not much of a swing :confused:
Once you get your halides on the tank it will increase the temp but you will also have hopefully 2 fans in the hood so that will help to evaporate more water.

Your going to be one hot boy this summer :razz:

Buccaneer
05-26-2003, 03:20 AM
edit - why is this post showing before jon and rasta's. maybe my browser is acting up.

I was thinking the same thing ... weird :confused:

Cheers

AJ_77
05-26-2003, 04:07 AM
(That is weird...)

Did this topic come up when you were planning your tank? Seems like it might become a concern. I had issues during summer with a tank on the main floor, but don't expect any now with the tank in the basement.

Much better...
:cool:

Canadian Man
05-26-2003, 04:31 AM
BASEMENT TANKS ROCK

:onfire:

ron101
05-26-2003, 06:31 AM
82-85F for me right now. I have a regular household fan that I set up on a timer for the hotter months that seems to do the trick - just alot more top off...

Skimmerking
05-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Yup tanks in the bASEMENT ROCKS I DO ADMITT.
MY TANKruns at 78.8 all the time. :mrgreen:

Doug
05-26-2003, 12:36 PM
BASEMENT TANKS ROCK

:lol:

Skimmerking
05-26-2003, 12:44 PM
yup again , why good morning there DAD

Quinn
05-26-2003, 01:37 PM
i didn't think it would be an issue when i was planning things out, since i have a ceiling fan and only a north facing window. and i mean, it's alberta. i figured chillers were for americans and maybe ontario and bc. basement isn't an option, since i don't have one. the one consolation i do have is that the temperature my house was yesterday is about as hot as it ever gets, somehow it manages to stay comfortable in there when it's 32 outside. and i should note i'm doing absurd amounts of top off, i'm refilling my top off bucket every three or four days and it's 25 gallons as i recall.

Aquattro
05-26-2003, 02:57 PM
and i should note i'm doing absurd amounts of top off, i'm refilling my top off bucket every three or four days and it's 25 gallons as i recall.

:eek: You sure you don't have a leak somewhere?? I evaporate a lot, and 25 g would last me 10-12 days!!

Delphinus
05-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Don't forget that our air is somewhat drier than most places (in Alberta we call 15% humidity "rain") so although I agree 25g seems like a lot of evap it's not completely implausible. I go through about 5g per day on my 75g right now, about 5g every two days over my 72g, and about 5g per week over my 20g. This is ... I would estimate about 2, 3 times as fast now, as compared to the winter months.

What does concern me a little is that 25g every couple of days is a lot of water being added to the ambient air. Teevee, it's a good thing you have a ceiling fan, that way you can keep the air moving and prevent mildew from taking hold...

(But then, I suppose with that greenhouse attached to your house, you probably already know a thing or two about controlling excessive humidity. :wink: :lol: )

Quinn
05-26-2003, 04:06 PM
actually we've never really had issues with humidity due to the greenhouse. regardless, my family has instructions to keep my door and windows open, and the fan is running basically 24/7 (although i think i turned it off when i got out of the shower this morning, since it was a bit chilly).

Aquattro
05-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Tony, i hadn't thought of that. I guess with less humidity, the 5g per day is possible. And to think I hate adding 5g every 2 or 3 days!

Quinn
05-26-2003, 08:05 PM
down to 79.2 today, since it's a bit cooler outside.

Trevor Robertson
05-26-2003, 10:39 PM
My tank is at about 80-81 every day all day even Saturday when it was 29C out side. Well good thing it is in the basement.

I never really thought about water in the air, and the problems that may ensure with the house, oh well I guess I need to set up a fan!

Aquattro
05-26-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm losing about 2 gallons a day, and I have serious problems with moisture in my house. If you guys are losing 5g a day and don't have air exchange units in your house, you'll probably have problems too. I have to buy a attic unit to aerate my whole house!!

Quinn
05-27-2003, 03:08 AM
oop my bad, my top off container is only 15 gallons. so i lost closer to three gallons the other day, only about two or less today.

StirCrazy
05-27-2003, 04:16 AM
I am loosing 3 gal/day and have no moisture problems. I have a fan hooked up to a humidistat so it maintains my humidity at about 48%

Steve

Aquattro
05-27-2003, 04:38 AM
Steve, I have my fan on full time and it doesn't help. Have you checked around behind furniture? That's where I'm getting mildew and mold.

StirCrazy
05-27-2003, 01:11 PM
yup just had the carpets done two weeks ago and moved all the stuff out of the front room. the fan you have is probably a commen bathroom fan rated for 40 cu^ft per min. depending on the duct work they only put out 20cu^ft/min or less. I paied big bucks during the power smart for this one and it is tested at 120 cu^ft/min installed. so the fan you have makes a big difference. If I were you and you could afford one of thoes turbine ones that sit in the attic. I would get that and plumb it into the roof of your hall and hook it to a humidistat that is in the dinning room. they kick out about 260 cu^ft/min and are pretty quiet also.

Steve

Doug
05-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Always remember though, "what goes out, has to come back in". Thats why an air exchanger works well. If you just exhaust, how does the replacment air come in.

Of course I suppose in Victoria, you can leave a window or something open. :lol:

kari
05-28-2003, 01:20 AM
BASEMENT TANKS ROCK

Basement Tanks with a Chiller Rocks even more until the chiller malfuntions.

Kari

Canadian Man
05-28-2003, 04:58 AM
BASEMENT TANKS ROCK

Basement Tanks with a Chiller Rocks even more until the chiller malfuntions.

Kari

Did your chiller crap out allready? :eek:

kari
05-29-2003, 04:00 AM
Jonathan

No I haven't even plumbed it yet. Just thought I'd get one over your Great Basement Barrier Reef without being too cocky in fear of a backfire :biggrin:
Since I seem to be the guinea pig for this unit, I'll let you know how the new chiller funtions as soon as its up and running for a month or so.

Kari

Canadian Man
05-29-2003, 04:12 AM
Jonathan

No I haven't even plumbed it yet. Just thought I'd get one over your Great Basement Barrier Reef without being too cocky in fear of a backfire :biggrin:
Since I seem to be the guinea pig for this unit, I'll let you know how the new chiller funtions as soon as its up and running for a month or so.

Kari

Pheww :smile: you had me worried there.