PDA

View Full Version : advice on systems

areefdream
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I have been running a small tank for about 3 years, 30g no sump, remora hang on, and an aqua clear 400 filter (a dinasaur I know), lights are 4x39wt5. 70lbs live rock, 60lbs live sand. I am looking to expand to a 90-120 but not for about 6 months the lights will not change. I am curious to hear thought on a good sump/filter system.

mike31154
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
If you're planning to go with a sump, you won't need much additional filtration other than a skimmer. Depending on sump size (big as you can go), you'll be able to fit most of your gear in there to run the display, include a refugium if you wish... etc. etc.

My current 75 gal is sumpless but I have a 90 which will include a sump/refugium in the basement. I'll be using a used 65 gallon tank as the sump and may end up using the 75 once it's empty for additional volume/options. Lots of room in the basement, but it will require a fair sized, pressure rated return pump to move the water back up to the main floor. If you put the sump under the display, your return pump won't need to be as powerful, but your sump size will be limited by the cabinet and access may be a little tighter for mainenance.

Congrats on the success with the small, sumpless tank you're running now! One more thing, most 90-120 gal tanks are 48" long so you may need to go with 48", 54WT5 lighting, depending on livestock you intend to keep.

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
If you center the lights you can get away with your lights. I have a 125g 5 footer with the 48 inch 4 bulb t5 unit on it. I put my most light dependent corals near the center, LPS around the ends, as well as birdsnest, a green stag, and monti on the lower left and right with no probs.
As mentioned above with a sump you would really only need a good skimmer, I've got a UV sterilizer as well and others have reactors, but those things are up to you to decide on.

mark
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
For a totally functional sump can be as simple as a old used aquariums and 3 pieces of glass for baffles. For filteration add skimmer of your choice.

areefdream
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks to all. Also, water top off systems. Do they need to be hooked into your house plumbing?

untamed
01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks to all. Also, water top off systems. Do they need to be hooked into your house plumbing?

Well...you don't want to be topping off directly with tap water...

My RO/DI filtration is hooked directly to my house plumbing. That collects water in the holding tank which is, in turn, connected to the auto water top off.

areefdream
01-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Is there a way to run an auto top off without being hooked into a house system? Honestly I have never seen an auto top off system.

Rbacchiega
01-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Sure is.

I have a 5 gallon bottle of RO water that sits beside the tank. When the water in the sump drops, it switches on and pumps water back into the sump