PDA

View Full Version : d-d h20 salt

saltynuts
01-28-2009, 03:00 AM
i any one useing this salt.
looking at useing it on my new tank any thoughts.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-28-2009, 03:08 AM
I have been very happy with it so far. Always tests exactly how its suppose to as per what they say the levels are for Ca, Mg, Alk and potassium.

It does seem to take a bit longer than other salts to mix but I mix for at least 24 hours anyways, so no big deal.

It is real sea salt and I like that idea.

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 04:41 AM
I've used a few pails so far and have really liked the results. Before using D-D h2ocean salt I was using Reefers best. As already mentioned what they list on the pail is the same as what I have found when testing.

Rippin
01-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Another satisfied user here...although I didn't have a problem with the Kent salt I was using previously but the local fish stores don't carry it anymore, so I had to switch to another brand - and D-D was it.

BlueAbyss
01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I will be using this salt when I start my tank :biggrin:

UnderTheSea
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
H2o is made by the same company as Red Sea Salt, same formula just with a slight increase in Calc & Mag

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
H2o is made by the same company as Red Sea Salt, same formula just with a slight increase in Calc & Mag

Where were you able to find that info? I tried looking for it but was unable to find anything.

UnderTheSea
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Where were you able to find that info? I tried looking for it but was unable to find anything.

I think I might have seen that over on RC where individuals were getting information about Red Sea products with their buckets of H2O

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I'll check there, i know that there was a post by fauna Marin a bit back on here saying something like that but when asked for an explanation and proof it ended up being a translation misunderstanding as he was just clumping a bunch of salts together that could have similar adverse results when using their line of products (I think it was due to higher alk readings then what they recommend for their system). I've gone through a few buckets now and never gotten any red sea info with my buckets, so I would really like to know if it is indeed a new salt or is it another salt with some raised parameters.

saltynuts
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/mc-dsalt23/D-D+H2Ocean+Pro+Plus+Salt+Mix+%2823KG%29.html

awa1979
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I'll check there, i know that there was a post by fauna Marin a bit back on here saying something like that but when asked for an explanation and proof it ended up being a translation misunderstanding as he was just clumping a bunch of salts together that could have similar adverse results when using their line of products (I think it was due to higher alk readings then what they recommend for their system). I've gone through a few buckets now and never gotten any red sea info with my buckets, so I would really like to know if it is indeed a new salt or is it another salt with some raised parameters.

From what I have found using the 2 companies websites it appears they are different companies completely.

But I would not be surprised one bit if the company that owns H2O is contracting out manufacturing to Red Sea since both I believe are natural sea salt based. But that does not mean its the same formulation as Red Sea.

I"ll use my previous company as an example, we sell meat products however we don't produce the product, we contract that out to maple leaf but they make it to our specifications so our product is still unique from maple leaf products.

Whatigot
01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
so weak that they stopped selling tropic marin...
Loved that salt, went from IO to seachem to kent marine....
now I have to change again?

you'd think one of the other LFS would pick up the slack but they all seem to be ditching tm...

anyone know why?

Probably will do some DD on this new stuff, The logo almost looks like the deltec one BTW...

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 08:02 PM

you'd think one of the other LFS would pick up the slack but they all seem to be ditching tm...

anyone know why?

Probably will do some DD on this new stuff, The logo almost looks like the deltec one BTW...

It is made by the deltec group. The actual company name that runs the brands is D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd. This is the new website:
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com

Rbacchiega
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Read up on it and think I'll be making the switch...sounds like fun

Trigger Man
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
The two shops in Calgary that carry it is Golds and Red Coral. Golds is currently sold out of it but Red Coral just got a shipment in early January and had a bunch instock when I picked one up last week.

BlueAbyss
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM

anyone know why?

No no idea why and that's why I'm choosing to start off with this salt. I was going to start with Tropic Marin Pro, but it seems to have disappeared altogether.

:lol: I noticed too, but the buckets do look slick don't they? I don't think I'll mind the odd looks when I pick this up at the post office and carry it to my apartment. Sorta like a Deltec skimmer, kinda...

Drock169
01-29-2009, 06:10 AM
There is a reason why no one is carrying Tropic marin anymore, thats because there is no longer a north american distributor, and in order to supply the salt to customers it would cost something like 137 per bucket to import it.

BlueAbyss
01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Ah, that would explain it. Thanks for the info.

randallino
01-29-2009, 07:19 AM
So those of you using D-D Salt what are your dKH numbers?
I am running Zeovit and need to maintain a dKH around 8 - 9 tops.
Thks.

Trigger Man
01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Currently my tank is sitting in the mid 7's to upper 7's with my coral load (My tank is using a lot of dkh as I am currently dosing twice a day for DKH).