PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI water filter and freashwater aquarium

Chad
05-25-2003, 05:21 PM
I just purchased a RO/DI water filter for my reef aquarium. I was also going to use it for my freshwater aquarium as well but was then told that I would have to add some supplments? Is this just the usual trace elements I add anyways or something else? Anyone have this experience?

Thanks,

Chad

EmilyB
05-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Yes Chad, when I was using my DI for freshwater I had to use the Electro-Right and pH Adjuster to adjust the hydromineral balance and the pH. I believe Kent makes some products along this line, but perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction.

golden69_ca
05-25-2003, 07:34 PM
for eather fresh or salt you should be adding ro treatment from kent to make the water more stable and a ph buffer also .

Chad
05-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Ahh, even for salt water?? I was under the impression it could be used straight once it was made?

Chad
05-25-2003, 08:54 PM
So, I have to add something else other than the saltmix I usualy use for the reef tank? (forgot to add this bit) :eek:

EmilyB
05-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Chad, you shouldn't really need to if you are using a quality salt mix.

Regarding DI water from Aquarium Pharmacueticals site:

Do I need to use Electro-Right and pH Adjuster when making saltwater?

No. Your synthetic saltwater mix should contain all the buffers, electrolytes and trace elements necessary for the aquarium. You can add special marine buffers like proper pH 8.2, and trace elements, in the aquarium later. When topping off the aquarium it is not necessary to use Electro-Right and pH Adjuster.

When I make saltwater water the pH never stabilizes to 8.2-8.4. Does deionized water lower pH?

No. Deionized water has no pH adjusting properties. The pH of your marine aquarium is regulated primarily by the buffer system created by the synthetic sea salts. If the salt manufacturer does not properly blend in the buffer salts, the final solution will have a pH other than 8.2-8.4. Some synthetic sea salts consistently run "low" or "high" depending on the manufacturer’s formula and blending techniques. Tap water may contain a significant amount of carbonate hardness (KH), which boosts the pH of "low pH sea salts". When you start using pure water, you might need to use a pH buffering product to raise the KH of the saltwater and increase the pH.

Kent RO Right is a freshwater product.

Jack
05-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Naw you don't have to add anything to RO/DI water for a reef tank. The salt mix has all the trace elements in it that you need.

I think all they are saying is RO/DI for freshwater might be "too pure" and needs to be spiced up with some minerals etc...

Beverly
05-25-2003, 09:31 PM
I just purchased a RO/DI water filter for my reef aquarium. I was also going to use it for my freshwater aquarium as well but was then told that I would have to add some supplments?

Chad,

Why not take the route most people take and simply use tapwater and dechlor for your FW tank? That's what we do and always have done for FW. Only use RO water for top up to compensate for evaporation in FW. Using tapwater, rather than RO and supplements, is going to be cheaper, less time consuming, and probably just as good for your fish, imo.

Aquattro
05-25-2003, 09:40 PM
for eather fresh or salt you should be adding ro treatment from kent to make the water more stable and a ph buffer also .

you aren't a Kent sales rep, are you? :lol:

Seriously, adding a quality salt mix to your RO water is just fine.

Chad
05-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Oh ok, I understand.. Usualy I just use tap water for my freshwater. Without failure I might add. However I thought since I have this niffty little device I might use it to benifit my little FW fishies as well. I already use a product to raise the KH so not too big of a deal. Today will be my first water change with the RO/DI. So I will be sure to take all the tests to see if its up to snuff :biggrin:

Thanks for the help everyone...

golden69_ca
05-25-2003, 10:03 PM
i use kent and i find im still a little off on my ph . if im topping up the tanks water the straght ro water sends my ph for a loop.

Aquattro
05-25-2003, 10:59 PM
i use kent and i find im still a little off on my ph . if im topping up the tanks water the straght ro water sends my ph for a loop.

Off topic a bit, but I had pH problems for a while also. I tossed my pH meter and haven't had a problem since!! :razz:
When your pH went for a "loop", what exactly happened? went high? Low? Were you measuring the RO water itself? If so, that will be loopy for sure. It's difficult to get a true reading for pH in RO water.
I've been using RO for a couple of years and have never felt that it needed any additional things added.

StirCrazy
05-26-2003, 01:39 AM
If you can throw in a bypass valve befor the membrain I would just use the filtered water for your fresh water, as mentioned RO water is to pure for fresh water tanks and you should use some sort of remineralizer befor you use it. as for salt water the salt mix is the reminerializer.

Steve

Chad
05-26-2003, 02:49 AM
I see.. I guess I can do that too. Wouldn't be too hard since I have some extra tubing and a valve. I will have to give it a try.

Thanks

trilinearmipmap
05-26-2003, 03:46 AM
IMO your plain tap water (dechlorinated) is fine for most fw fish, aged tap water for more sensitive fw fish.

ron101
05-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Agree with the pro-tap water crowd. Lower mainland Vancouver water is fairly soft as is. I wouldn't even bother with RO for top off. Unless you are using a pH buffer or using a buffering substrate FW tanks can benefit from the slight hardness reintroduced from top and water changes from the tap. Otherwise buffering capacity can eventually get exhausted and the pH can plummet.