PDA

View Full Version : How soon

BC Mosaic
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
How soon can I set up a baited trap for this guy seeing as how it has now just molted? Put another way, how soon before he starts to get hungry? Or put another another way, how soon before his shell hardens and he feels safe enough to go out hunting for food?
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/BC_Mosaic/IMGP1710.jpg

BCOrchidGuy
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I think this guy is a this gal and unless you beleive she is eating corals or damaging stuff, why take it out. She may be an herbivore. The reason I think it's a she is you can see the abdomenal cover of the shell and it's wide, usually the male cover is narrow. The male cover looks like a pull top on a can while the females is quite a bit wider.

Douglas

Haloreef
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
As a rule of thumb that I use, if it has hair and it's a crab, it gets a fresh water dip and fed to my Bearded Dragons. Oh do they love crab!
Keith.

BCOrchidGuy
01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I thought they were vegetarians?? cool though.

Douglas

reeferious
01-28-2009, 03:50 AM
i like crabs of all kinds be they nightmarish, hairy legs, red or green eyed ogres. i used to plomb any non coral-friendly types into sump where they quickly ended up being meals for mantis shrimps. now i have sectioned off a sump area where all these crabbies can live out their days in crab heaven. by the way i was catching all those shorecrabs to feed my mantis and just for fun i put a few into this section and am finding them to be survivors, warm water and all.......