PDA

View Full Version : MH Ballast help

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 06:12 AM
I need to change my dual 400watt ballast. Its just WAY too loud. Its quite old now and I don't even really trust it to be honest.

Where is a good place to get ballasts? I don't want to bother anymore with paying for overpriced ballast with Aquarium brand names. Like most things made for the hobby, as soon as you put "aquarium" on it, it sells for like triple :)

Any suggestions?

banditpowdercoat
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I would check out an electrical supply store. Westburne, Eecol, etc.

When you fing something, let us know :D

chevyjaxon
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
hydroponics shops usually carry them

mike31154
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM
I gather this is a magnetic ballast? Transformer/coil & capacitor. To produce 400watts takes some large components and transformer hum can be substantial. Have you opened the unit up to see what's making the noise? Could be as simple as a loose mounting screw holding the transformer in place. Or you might look into replacing the capacitor if it's that old. If saving money is the goal I'd say it's worth having a look at these things. It's still firing your lamp(s) so there's nothing to lose by checking for loose connections.

mseepman
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I use a ballast from Ballastwise for my 70W mh nano light fixture. They are electronic, so they are silent and don't get too hot.

Here's a link....http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=129&FID=17&level=1

Hope that helps. One thing to note, they are not fantastic shippers across the border...I had to put all the paperwork together myself, pre-pay the shipping company and then they shipped it.

BCOrchidGuy
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't know how much you know about electricity but one thing I do know is don't mess with a capacitor with your bare hands. There is a way to discharge it but I can't remember what it is, someone else will post I'm sure but the capacitor holds the charge so even after you've unplugged the unit the capacitor is still holding enough of a bang to make your day not so great.

Douglas

parkinsn
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
If your ballast is "humming" its the core and coil your capacitor should be fine. As stated above try Westburne, EECOL, GESCAN, Wesco, none of these places will have them in stock though as they are a special order only due to the imput voltage required to start "our aquarium" lamps. Here is a link to the Ushio website, it has your ballast code on the end of the chart under spec's

http://www.ushio.com/products/generallighting/mh-aqualite.htm

P.S. you can discharge the cap by touching the ends to something grounded and conductive. Not your hand :lol:

mike31154
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
A screwdriver with an insulated handle may be used to discharge the capacitor. Just lay the metal part of the screwdriver across the capacitor terminals and it will discharge. Could be a bit of a spark when you contact the second terminal so make sure you're not around anything flammable.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I don't know if I want to be messing with the ballast myself though. I don't know anything about them.

I think I will either try to replace it or for the new tank build, build a box to hide it in under the tank and try to keep it quiet.

I am just sick of hearing the thing...but it does seem to be still working.

mike31154
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, if it still works, no need to mess with it. The only thing you'll find in there if it's a magnetic dual ballast is two monster transformers, two gargantuan capacitors and associated wiring/connectors. Be careful about hiding it too well, it needs good air circulation for cooling. Those 400W babys get warm. Come to think of it, it should have at least one fan for the housing.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, if it still works, no need to mess with it. The only thing you'll find in there if it's a magnetic dual ballast is two monster transformers, two gargantuan capacitors and associated wiring/connectors. Be careful about hiding it too well, it needs good air circulation for cooling. Those 400W babys get warm. Come to think of it, it should have at least one fan for the housing.

Yeah I should have been more clear...I was hoping to make a box that breathes and has a fan or two. Maybe I should not though?

The darn ballast is just so massive and loud.

It actually doesn't get as hot as you may think...its hot but I can still put my hand on it with no problems.

parkinsn
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I don't know if I want to be messing with the ballast myself though. I don't know anything about them.

I think I will either try to replace it or for the new tank build, build a box to hide it in under the tank and try to keep it quiet.

I am just sick of hearing the thing...but it does seem to be still working.

If your going to keep it in a box and its humming still, something you can try to dampen the vibration are hockey pucks or you can buy actual transformer (thats all a ballast is) vibration plates but they are virtually hockey pucks

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
If your going to keep it in a box and its humming still, something you can try to dampen the vibration are hockey pucks or you can buy actual transformer (thats all a ballast is) vibration plates but they are virtually hockey pucks

Ok, thanks.

LOL...I am confused though. Where would I be putting these hockey pucks? Just under the ballast?

pterfloth
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I upgraded my 175w ballasts to 250w ballasts by replacing the transformers and coils inside the ballast boxes with units I bought from Nedco in Vancouver. They have Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond outlets. You can match up the ballast and coils you need using the ANSI chart under the Canreef lighting forum, eg M59 transformer and coil for Hamilton 400w.

To hook up the new transformers and coils, just connect up the wires the same way the old ones were. The color coded wires are consistent from unit to unit. It is pretty easy to do.

The upgrade cost me $80/unit and took me about 1 hour.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I upgraded my 175w ballasts to 250w ballasts by replacing the transformers and coils inside the ballast boxes with units I bought from Nedco in Vancouver. They have Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond outlets. You can match up the ballast and coils you need using the ANSI chart under the Canreef lighting forum, eg M59 transformer and coil for Hamilton 400w.

To hook up the new transformers and coils, just connect up the wires the same way the old ones were. The color coded wires are consistent from unit to unit. It is pretty easy to do.

The upgrade cost me $80/unit and took me about 1 hour.

Thanks. I may look into this then. So then is it possible to switch parts to make this an HQI ballast?

parkinsn
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok, thanks.

LOL...I am confused though. Where would I be putting these hockey pucks? Just under the ballast?

ya you just stick them under the ballast to absorb the vibration

parkinsn
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks. I may look into this then. So then is it possible to switch parts to make this an HQI ballast?

the only diffrence between HQI and SE is the lamp initial operating voltage, right now i am running my SE's with an HQI PFO ballast. Note that you will shorten the lamp life doing this, by how much im not sure but i wouldnt think it to be substantial though.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-29-2009, 01:33 AM
the only diffrence between HQI and SE is the lamp initial operating voltage, right now i am running my SE's with an HQI PFO ballast. Note that you will shorten the lamp life doing this, by how much im not sure but i wouldnt think it to be substantial though.

Ok but it doesn't work the other way around right?

Like I cannot use HQI bulbs with my current ballast?

parkinsn
01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Ok but it doesn't work the other way around right?

Like I cannot use HQI bulbs with my current ballast?

I dont think so because the start up voltage for the HQI is higher, but i have never tryed going that way. It might work but you may not get the lamp to full bright.

fkshiu
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM

It all depends on the bulb itself. I am using Radium 20K SEs which are spec'd for HQI ballasts. They will not have shortened lamp life by running them on an HQI ballast.