PDA

View Full Version : Ideas and advice on 75 gallon FW tank

trilinearmipmap
01-27-2009, 03:41 AM
I have a 75 gallon FW tank, it has been a high-tech FW planted tank for quite a few years.

Lately I just don't have the time to put into it, it is getting run down and not looking its best. Work and family means I can't maintain the tank the way it should be.

I'm thinking of changing it to a FW fish-only tank. I'd like something that is good-looking but not a lot of maintenance. Maybe a species tank of some kind.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be appreciated.

karazy
01-27-2009, 03:47 AM
just a suggestion, maybe you could try doing a low tech planted tank,
with like java fern and anubias and stuff...

and also you'd be able to get 12-15 dwarf puffers for a 75 gallon :biggrin:

Rbacchiega
01-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Rainbows.

You could even divide it into different species of rainbows. They're a good size, active, insanely coloured....

tredford8
01-27-2009, 04:35 AM
If you do anubias, maybe some bolbitis fern, a school of 12-15 congo tetras might look nice

trilinearmipmap
01-28-2009, 10:22 PM
OK thanks for the advice, I think I want to get away from plants entirely as I have a low-tech planted tank in my office.

BCOrchidGuy
02-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm with Rbacchiega, rainbow fish all the way. No plants at all though....well how about some small africn cichlids, the rainbow fish will do fine with them. N. brichardi are nice and active although they will take over the tank eventually. A nice harem of peacocks, shell dwellers... Compressiceps or Calvus are amazing looking fish and slow growing. You have lots of options. If you like active fish (as in pugnacious) look into tropheus, some are stunning colours and they are scrappy fish.

Douglas

Tarolisol
02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
If your good with water quality i'd go with some rams, german blues or Bolivian

Rbacchiega
02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
a 75 gallon, in my opinion would be a little cramped for peacock cichlids or tropheus species. But that's my opinion. Shell dwellers mixed with comps would be great...but I love rainbows LOL

whitwolf
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
if you want just a plane jane tank with rocks you can have one of my big oscars....he will eat anything and will take fish from your hand

Doo
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Go Africans - try to keep all males, use lots of rocks and over populate the tank (aggression devides out) it looks busy and you can have every color you want in there. Oh - they are also super strong fish and if you can keep plants - this will be a joke for you to maintain...

I have nice frontosa babies if you want to add some in (my plug):mrgreen:...