PDA

View Full Version : Foam or no foam?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I think I am going to use foam under my new tank regardless but am just curious as to what you guys think?

It is glass with a bottom trim...I have heard so many different opinions on whether you need foam or not.

I am designing the stand now and foam will change the plans slightly so I just want to be sure.

The tank is 72"x30"x22" tall.

PoonTang
01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Dont risk cracking the tank....use the foam.

hillegom
01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
+2

Mrfish55
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Foam is pretty cheap insurance especially on a home built stand that is bound to have minor imperfections, I used a laser level setting the stand for my tank and it still settled after filling (3000lbs) and the high density foam crushed down to half the thickness. Don't know how much of a difference it makes but I feel better about it.

rocketlily
01-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I agree with the foam. A full tank is an amazing amount of weight on any stand.

Rbacchiega
01-27-2009, 01:02 AM
yay foam!

'nuff said

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
yay foam!

'nuff said

Well...I wasn't convinced but...this post made my mind up! Foam it is :D

Rbacchiega
01-27-2009, 02:58 AM
LOL oh behold the power!

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 04:26 AM
LOL oh behold the power!

I am just kind of a sucker for " 'nuff said" ...seems to win me over every time. How can you argue with that???

Rbacchiega
01-27-2009, 04:29 AM
agreed. Especially when you add crossed arms and a nod....then there's no saying "no"

spoot
01-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Won't really help the leveling, but it will help alleviate pressure points from the stand. I use 3 layers of high density laminate floor underlay under all my tanks. It actually compresses, with the tank weight, so it seems like it would do more than the rigid foam insulation.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Won't really help the leveling, but it will help alleviate pressure points from the stand. I use 3 layers of high density laminate floor underlay under all my tanks. It actually compresses, with the tank weight, so it seems like it would do more than the rigid foam insulation.

Our floors are quite level and exposed concrete, so no wood or anything for the stand to compress into.

I like your idea of laminate floor underlay though. I think I will give that a shot.

fkshiu
01-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Ain't nothing between the tank and the stand for me. The whole foam thing gives you a false sense of security. If you've got a warped/uneven stand, that will translate through any foam underlay. Think about it - I don't think any of the big glass tank makers recommend foam between their tanks and stands even in lawsuit crazy America.

Now if you have an acrylic tank with the entire bottom resting on the stand I can see where foam may be required, but on a glass tank where the rim takes all of the weight I don't think there's a real gain. Better to ensure your stand is true/level/square/flat to begin with.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Ain't nothing between the tank and the stand for me. The whole foam thing gives you a false sense of security. If you've got a warped/uneven stand, that will translate through any foam underlay. Think about it - I don't think any of the big glass tank makers recommend foam between their tanks and stands even in lawsuit crazy America.

Now if you have an acrylic tank with the entire bottom resting on the stand I can see where foam may be required, but on a glass tank where the rim takes all of the weight I don't think there's a real gain. Better to ensure your stand is true/level/square/flat to begin with.

Yeah this is the argument I usually hear the other way. And you are right, many manufacturers actually void the warranty of a tank if you use foam under it.

I know when I asked on RC about this for my current tank, everyone said not to use foam. I thought I would ask again with this tank because its quite a bit bigger than my current tank. At least footprint wise.

72"x30" is a lot of footprint for things to be "off" with the stand no matter how well its made.

I agree though, the first goal is to make sure the stand is as close to perfect as possible.

lastlight
01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I seem to recall always reading foam for no-trim tanks and no foam for trimmed tanks. I used foam on my tank but not sure if I would if there was trim. Does the foam end up contacting the floated glass bottom if you use it?

Seems to me like the trim might really sink into the foam due to high pressure and then the bottom may touch the foam but not as evenly as when the tank has no trim.

Just thinking aloud tho. Haven't had trim on a tank in some time.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I seem to recall always reading foam for no-trim tanks and no foam for trimmed tanks. I used foam on my tank but not sure if I would if there was trim. Does the foam end up contacting the floated glass bottom if you use it?

Seems to me like the trim might really sink into the foam due to high pressure and then the bottom may touch the foam but not as evenly as when the tank has no trim.

Yeah this is why some people have told me NOT to use foam. Because the bottom pane of glass is designed NOT to touch anything except the trim. And when you add foam, it often sinks deep enough into the foam to contact the bottom glass. I guess over time this can be a problem.

I am super confused now if I should use it or not. Many people have told me to just make sure the stand is level and use a sheet of plywood.

BlueAbyss
01-27-2009, 07:58 AM
If it won't void the warranty on the tank, and the tank is trimmed, I would use a thin sheet of foam that is thin enough that it could not possibly contact the bottom of the tank. Like a 1/4" or so... the underlay idea sounds good.

I was debating this on my tank, and since I've removed the trim from the tank I will be using a sheet of foam under my tank, to cushion the bottom pane of glass. Not because the stand (or rather 'wall unit') I'm using isn't level (which it isn't, I need to shim it), but because I feel that anything between the two flat surfaces, even something as small as a grain of sand, will stress the glass.

awa1979
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I've never used foam, always been told its not needed on aquariums with a trim.

So far never had an issue in 20 years.

spoot
01-27-2009, 03:35 PM

The foam for non-trimmed tank is even more important, as the pressure points would be directly on the piece of glass if you had not foam.

For the tank that have a raised bottom pane, the side pieces of glass are actually sitting in the plastic cradle, and the bottom pane is suspended in between the with silicone. With rigid foam insulation (pink or blue stuff), there is just not enough weight to compress the foam so that the bottom pane would touch the foam.

Just a quick calculation to put you at ease, consider a 200g tank, with water etc it weighs about 2000lbs. It you have a 1.5 inch wide trim, on a tank with the same footprint as greenspottedpuffer's new tank, you'd have about 200 linear inches of trim, and about 300 square inches of trim. So if you divide the weight equally, 2000lbs/300square inches =6.6667pounds per square inch, or 6.6667psi. It takes a lot more than 6.6667psi to compress that foam.

lastlight
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes I use foam on my trimless tanks.

If the foam won't touch the trim I'd use it as well then...

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-02-2009, 03:07 AM
So I still don't know...

I have the stand mostly built and have 1/2" room (so that it will be hidden by the side panels and doors) for either foam or plywood. I am leaning towards plywood just plywood under the tank but anymore advice?

Whatigot
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
jeez...
I'm in the middle of setting up a 95 that is flat glass with no trim on the bottom.
The glass sits flush on the stand (which is custom made out of very good wood and flat/even as can be).

what should I do?

Right now, as the guy who had it before me had 100 lbs of LR on it with no issues for 6 years, I don't hink I'm going to use foam.

But if anyone here can save me from myself, please do so.

banditpowdercoat
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
jeez...
I'm in the middle of setting up a 95 that is flat glass with no trim on the bottom.
The glass sits flush on the stand (which is custom made out of very good wood and flat/even as can be).

what should I do?

Right now, as the guy who had it before me had 100 lbs of LR on it with no issues for 6 years, I don't hink I'm going to use foam.

But if anyone here can save me from myself, please do so.

If there is No trim, then I would suggest foam. The foam helps for even specks of dirt, uneven grains in the wood, etc. think what would happen if you set your tank on a tiny pebble?? Major pinpoint pressure

Whatigot
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe...
I'll consider now.

I suppose it's just like insulators foam I would use?

no_bs
03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes, rona has it. But do use something. Hate to see the worst happen.

animalcrossing
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
the foam is strong in this one obi one use the foam lol I neeeeedddd timmies