PDA

View Full Version : Ca/Mg/Alk levels

BCOrchidGuy
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
My question is simple, at least it should be but I know it's not... but it should be, anyway...

I don't want to go with a Ca reactor, I've got no room and it's just something I don't want to deal with.

So what Ca/Mg/Alk suppliments do people recommend. I'm looking at Purple up, B Ionic or C Balance. I used to use the RHF homemade Ca/Alk and dose Kent magnesium but am considering another way to keep my lvls up. Right now the tank is very light load as far as calcium demand, a few monti frags and two decent colonies and then a few tree corals, mushroom, riccordia and an LPS. I want to get a bunch of SPS frags over the next couple months though so the demand will increase.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Douglas
ps the reason I am considering the Purple up, B Ionic and C Balance are they are complete so rather than having to dose different things I can do it all in one.

whatcaneyedo
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

1. Limewater (aka kalkwasser), used in a reactor or not, and with vinegar or not
2. Calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
3. Calcium carbonate used without a reactor
4. Calcium acetate
5. One part inorganic salt mixtures
6. Two-part liquid additive systems
7. Water changes

tang daddy
01-27-2009, 02:13 AM
also liquid magnesium and amino acids is good to dose you could try salifert brand.

BCOrchidGuy
01-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, Kalk with alk and mg sounds like the way to go.

Douglas

mike31154
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I've been adding a 26 gram sachet of 'Bernardin' Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) to my 7 gallon top off container and recently bought two bags of 'Life' brand Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) from the local drug store as a possible magnesium supplement. Added a little of the epsom salts to my last water change container but don't have a magnesium test kit yet so I don't want to get too carried away.

I use IO salt so the calcium is usually less than 400 in my water change tub, which is no big deal since I don't have any SPS coral, just one hammer that needs it's calcium. By adding the Bernardin CaCl I've been able to bring the calcium in the display up to 460.

Bernardin Pickle Crisp -$1.79 for three 26 gram pouches
Life Epsom Salts - on sale at drug store, don't recall price but have two 2kg bags, I think for just under $10

Yep, I'm cheap, but I don't cut my own hair....

Myka
01-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Epsom (magnesium sulfate) salt is not a very good choice to solely supplement reefs with. It can be used in emergency, but if used continually, especially in higher demand tanks the buildup of sulfates can be detrimental to the tank. Your tank needs a mix of magnesium, chloride, and sulfate salts, so using a proper blend is the best choice. Kent Tech-M uses solely magnesium sulfate, and is therefore an over-priced and poor choice for supplementation. SeaChem Reef Advantage Magnesium uses magnesium, chloride, and sulfates in a balanced blend and is my choice for magnesium supplementation.

Take a read through the Guide in my signature, it explains the different options for supplementing, and my preferred brands. :)

mike31154
01-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the detailed clarification Myka. I was aware of the Epsom Salt sulfate issue in the long term. Currently my tank is not considered a high demand system for this supplement. I also understand that with regular water changes, the sulfate problem may be kept in check. In any case, I'll not be dosing the Epsom salts again until I get a test kit for magnesium.... and I'll definitely check out the Sea Chem product.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I would recommend using a good quality salt and doing weekly water changes. I was spending a fortune on supplements before doing this. When I started ZEOvit, I had to do weekly water changes and I have noticed I literally need half of the dosing I used to in order to keep levels up. Just 5G a week for me. Not a big deal. Plus it feels really good to know I am "cleaning" the tank each week.

Regardless of weekly water changes or not though, I think a good salt is worth it. Why skimp on something so important? Once you get Mg levels up, they do not get used up quickly and if your salt is good, just water changes will be enough (as long as you do at least one a month).

Using Instant Ocean has never made sense to me...you have to add so much to it and your still not getting a lot of trace elements. I know my tanks looked 10 times better after switching from IO to Tropic Marin Pro salt last year. I have now had to switch again because J&L does not carry Tropic Marin anymore but I am finding the Deltec natural sea salt to be very nice to use. I have tested it each water change and levels are perfect each time.

EDIT: Hmmm...maybe you said you don't really have sps. If not, then nevermind :) But if you do get into a lot of sps (which you plan to), I would go with a top quality salt.

Myka
01-28-2009, 02:14 AM
You're welcome. :) If I remember correctly the smallest jar of the Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium costs about $8 or 9, and it lasts quite a long time as magnesium isn't used up very quickly, and most salts have adequate levels, so most people need to only dose very little if they do regular waterchanges. Oh, and you should never, ever, ever (did I say never?) dose for something unless you test for it. ;)

digital-audiophile
01-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Calcium Chloride, Baked Baking Powder and epsom salts. I have each mixed with RO/DI in old pop bottles and add a bit once a week during the water change.

Cheap and effective. :mrgreen:

pterfloth
01-28-2009, 02:53 AM
I use the DIY two part additives detailed in this link. It is very inexpensive and effective. I found commercial preparations very expensive to use.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

This link helps determine how much of these additives to use, based on tank volume. Select Randy's Recipe as your additive.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Hope this helps!