PDA

View Full Version : Pellets sink too fast

likwid
01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Hey guys,

I decided to start feeding pellets to get my goby to eat easier. I bought some Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Marine Pellets size small. These things are tiny, like the size of a poppy seed. Anyways, I drop these in and they sink to the bottom like a rock. There is no chance of my goby grabbing these, and my clownfish spits them back out. These are supposed to be slow sinking pellets too.

Any tips for feeding pellets and making them sink slower? Or should I just buy a better brand of pellets.

Trigger Man
01-26-2009, 02:37 AM
there are many brands of pellets, some that sink slower then others. When the pellets hit the base of your tank the fish should still go after them if the fish have been trained on pellets. However if the fish have not been trained to eat pellets you will slowly have to train them to (in the beginning mix only a few pellets with the frozen food you feed because they may not eat any of the pellets). As you see your fish eating a bit of the pellets then slowly increase the amount of pellets and decrease the amount of frozen food during feedings. I have had fish that have taken over a month to finally start eating pellets, and others have never been able to get their fish to eat pellets.
I have never tryed flake foods, but I know from my fw days they tend to sink slowly, so you can think of trying them (I don't know how good or bad they are for tank parameters).

fkshiu
01-26-2009, 03:16 AM
NLS pellets don't sink quite as fast as Ocean Nutrition ones. In fact, I find them a little too slow since they all get gobbled up before the gobies etc can a chance at them! So I throw both kinds in at once.

banditpowdercoat
01-26-2009, 03:54 AM
They should come to like them in time. I feed ON Form 1+2 pelets to my fish. My clowns and Grama go nuts now. at first, they never even touched it, for like a month. It was Mysis or nothing. I slowly weaned them off straight Mysis. Now they eat darn near anyting. Even my Yellow tang loves them. he'll pick them off the tank floor.

Kryten
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
One thing I find that slows down the sinkage is turning off the pumps during feeding.

ElGuappo
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
i also use the NLS 1mm pellets. i beleive they are actually called Semi- Floating.

NLS pellets don't sink quite as fast as Ocean Nutrition ones. In fact, I find them a little too slow since they all get gobbled up before the gobies etc can a chance at them! So I throw both kinds in at once.