PDA

View Full Version : Who has/had Clarkii clowns?

JDigital
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Just looking for some first hand insight on these great looking clowns. Good/Bad experiences, etc.

I have a mated pair on hold till tomorrow, while I make my decision.

The current tank mates that they would be joining are a Copperband BF, and Foxface.

Snaz
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Tough little buggers. When I bought my AP12 2nd hand I went to pick it up. We found a Clarkii that was hiding in one of the rear filter compartments, dude said he was missing for three months. The volume of the dark chamber he was living in was about one litre.

marie
01-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Mine are nasty. Anything new thats put in their tank is beat upon whether its corals, fish or my hands

loveless
01-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Ive got a mated pair as well. The female gets pretty uptight when she has eggs, which is every couple of weeks. The male is fairly laid back but can get a bit pushy when others come close to their nest. Ive got a yellow tang, a regal tang, a mandarin, and 6 chromis'. They leave most alone except the chromis which get hassled every 5 min or so. Other than that its not bad no deaths or anything terrible.

marie
01-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I should point out that everything that was in the tank before the clowns were is safe. My lawnmower blenny has no problems and actually trys to boss the clowns around but the mandarin that I tried to put in after was pounded into the sand and had to be removed or he would of been killed

JDigital
01-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Mine are nasty. Anything new thats put in their tank is beat upon whether its corals, fish or my hands

Future fish would include a Powder Brown Tang, Medium size angel (prolly a Swallowtail), and a larger wrasse. I'm most concerned about them beating on the PBT (my "show" piece for the tank) I was planning to add the PBT last, but if they are gonna be in the tank for a couple months before the tang, that's definitely a concern I have. Maybe they should be added last??

marie
01-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Future fish would include a Powder Brown Tang, Medium size angel, and probably a wrasse. I'm most concerned about them beating on the PBT (my "show" piece for the tank) I was planning to add the PBT last, but if they are gonna be in the tank for a couple months before the tang, that's definitely a concern I have. Maybe they should be added last??

I'm pretty sure the powder brown will be able to stand up for himself but it might be good idea to make sure the tang is a little bigger then the female clown

JDigital
01-26-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the powder brown will be able to stand up for himself but it might be good idea to make sure the tang is a little bigger then the female clown

Yea, I'd say the female is about 3.5-4" right now, male a .5" smaller. Not sure how much growing they have got left. Live Aquaria says 6", but that fluctuates obviously.

JDigital
01-26-2009, 01:59 AM
*snip*

btw, You seem to have every fish that I ask about. :lol:

marie
01-26-2009, 02:04 AM
I've had my female for 8 1/2 years, she's pretty darn big
Video of her and her mate laying eggs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/th_3f7d9fe9.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/?action=view&current=3f7d9fe9.pbr)

*edit*
btw, You seem to have every fish that I ask about. :lol:

I have a lot of fish :mrgreen:

naesco
01-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Future fish would include a Powder Brown Tang, Medium size angel (prolly a Swallowtail), and a larger wrasse. I'm most concerned about them beating on the PBT (my "show" piece for the tank) I was planning to add the PBT last, but if they are gonna be in the tank for a couple months before the tang, that's definitely a concern I have. Maybe they should be added last??

You are not planning to put a powder brown tang in your 75 gallon are ya?

marie
01-26-2009, 02:28 AM
You are not planning to put a powder brown tang in your 75 gallon are ya?

You are very predictable naesco :lol:

spanky
01-26-2009, 03:53 AM
i have a pair and they beat the living crap out of my last fairy wrasse so bad i had to get rid of her....other than that they have been great with everything else. I have a larger female christmas wrasse now and havent had a problem whatsoever.

naesco
01-26-2009, 04:01 AM
You are very predictable naesco :lol:

It is impossible for me to resist.
Actually I was going to post on the clarkii clowns but..........

JDigital
01-26-2009, 04:18 AM
i have a pair and they beat the living crap out of my last fairy wrasse so bad i had to get rid of her....other than that they have been great with everything else. I have a larger female christmas wrasse now and havent had a problem whatsoever.

Thanks for the input..

BTW, how is the Angel doing?

EmilyB
01-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Nasty fish. I've also had pretty well every type of clownfish. I think the saddlebacks are the calmest.

wgama
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I had ,and I stress had ,a pair,they were nasty little fish. They were juvimilles about 2.5 inches long. The female was very agressive, she went around the tank biting everything, snails, fish ,corals heater cords etc...
For the sake of the inhabitants in the tank I got rid of them. They grow to approximatley 6 inches. They may be ok in a tank with only fish bigger than them.

fishytime
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
See....I wasnt BSin.:mrgreen: Nasty little fish.

lammarkk
02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
My previous Clarkii was too aggressive...:neutral: