PDA

View Full Version : metal halide emmission?

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
i have a 400w iwasaki 6500k metal halide over my 40glns reef tank.
well last night (my fault)the outer shell of the bulb broke ,no harm to the bulb itself, given the fact i dont touch it when turned on lol.
question: with no outer shell to the bulb would there be any bad emmission to the inhabitant of the tank?

Ripwoop
01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes that outer jacket is like the UV glass for a DE bulb. I would get another bulb asap. Don't look at the bulb i believe it can damage your eyes. so i hear.

mike31154
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Correct, UV radiation I believe. If you have a reflector that can be fitted with a piece of glass (shield) then you're ok.

MikeP
01-25-2009, 08:49 PM
So this is a mogul base bulb? In any case if there is anything broken about it do not use it at all. You can harm yourself and the tank. The glass on a mogul bulb is a UV shield, if it's a double ended bulb the glass underneath is the UV shield. At least that's my understanding, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You had better play it safe in the mean time though.

BlueAbyss
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
You are all correct, the glass envelope around a single-ended bulb is both protection for the tube inside, and a UV shield. Think of it as an HQI or double-ended bulb with the UV shield built in... And on that note DO NOT use the damaged bulb further. You will either fry your retinas or your corals and fish or both.

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-26-2009, 12:25 AM
it is a mogul base
i was thinking if its only damaging to me its ok because its inclosed by the inwall hood.
i suppose i will have to dispose of it for the damage of the tank.
thanx guys

Ripwoop
01-26-2009, 01:08 AM
No problem hope it helped.